2011-02-23 07:40:15Good and bad coverage of SkS
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I used to use google alerts to keep track of things, stopped for a while for some reason. But I thought it might be a good idea to be aware of references to Skeptical Science so have just subscribed to a few google alerts. Immediately was notified of two new articles, both on Dana's articles but both unfortunately attributing them to me:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/02/really-unlikely-climate-change-naturally-occurring.php

I posted a comment on Treehugger to set the record straight on the author of Dana's Lindzen article and also couldn't resist a barb or two at the skeptic commenter.

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/evangelical-christian-john-cook-knows-that-recent-warming-is-not-natural/

Steve Goddard attacks my faith using one of Dana's articles. It's not easy but I will resist the urge to waste time commenting on his blog.

2011-02-23 07:41:51Oh and Climate Progress just reposted the Lindzen piece
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

http://climateprogress.org/2011/02/22/how-we-know-recent-global-warming-is-not-natural/

Treehugger and CP. We may not have got it into the Guardian but that article is getting some serious mileage, Dana. Well done!

2011-02-23 08:09:56
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
Interesting about Goddard attacking John's religious views.  I wonder if he's prepared to apply the same to Spencer and Christy.
2011-02-23 09:51:21
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

That's how it should be. The message "we" are communicating is that powerful that the fruitcakes, I mean skeptics, feel compelled to respond.

Yes, great work Dana. 

2011-02-23 10:17:36
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

John,

Why would you consider responding to Goddard on a matter of faith to be a waste of time?

Indeed, you can make a case that faith in Christianity is quite in harmony with concern about the planet. And if he wants to alienate his Christian readers (of whom there should be a few), why shouldn't you help him?

Plus there is the embarrassing point that Spencer has gone farther over to the Bible-based view of the earth than you have. 

I think it's a win/win/win.

Famous saying: When you catch your enemy digging himself into a hole, let him...

2011-02-23 12:30:05Responding to Goddard
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I wasn't planning on responding to Goddard. I am more than happy, in fact I welcome discussing my faith, especially as so many Christians are skeptics. So I don't mind if skeptics attack me for being a Christian - it presents a wonderful opportunity as I share the values of Christians many of whom are skeptics.

That said, I just don't know if engagement with Goddard is worth the time and effort as it's a marginal website and Goddard is one of the more extreme cranks. I certainly won't be blogging about it on SkS - maybe a comment on his site (but then I'd have to keep checking back to follow the discussion - sheesh!). With the limited time I have each day, I have to prioritise.

I also don't relish the opportunity to bag Spencer's extreme religious views. While I disagree with his creationism (eg - a 10,000 year old universe), to ridicule him on that point is to alienate most Christians. There is simply nothing to be gained from that other than scoring cheap shots that are only appreciated by those already on your side.

2011-02-23 14:25:48wow
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Dang, the article (on Spencer, not Lindzen, btw) is sure getting a lot of mileage all of the sudden.  CP and TreeHugger and Motl and Goddard.

Great response from Goddard.

"It isn’t natural because it isn’t happening."

That man deserves an award for such illuminating  commentary!

I was going to suggest we should keep track of all of our re-posts (and original posts on other sites).  There have been a bunch on CP and TreeHugger, the two in The Guardian, and of course benmalisow.com!  It would be nice to keep a record of these.

2011-02-23 16:20:36Started a thread on this
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Everyone feel free to add to this. Good to keep track of the good and the bad - the bad especially to see how skeptics respond to our content as it may help us clarify our content in subsequent posts:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=995

2011-02-23 19:02:13
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

John,

I wouldn't want to make fun of Spencer because of his Christianity or even because of his creationism (ID-ism).

I would make fun of Motl, Goddard and WUWT for making Christianity an issue for you, while giving Spencer a pass: It's hypocritical.

2011-02-24 05:58:37Lindzen article
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
CP just reposted the Lindzen case study article as well.  I added it and several others to the list.