2011-02-18 04:09:24Interesting potential experiment
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

This is probably a very large project but the result could be very interesting.  Is there any kind of off-the-shelf program that can create this sort of diagram?

It would be very interesting to be able to show how all the research papers in climate science relate to and fully support a consistent understanding of AGW.  Every paper out there cites anywhere from 2 to 20+ sources.  If there were a way to start plugging papers and their citations into a database and generate a diagram like this, it might be a very compelling communication tool to show the general public how detailed and interconnected the science is.

AND, conversely, it might even be worth while to do the same for competing theories.  Create a similar diagram for GCR theory.  See how far that goes.  Same for other theories. 

Comments? 

2011-02-18 05:36:12Forensic Librarians
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...
Looks like a job for a Forensic Llibrarian -- do they even exist?
2011-02-18 06:25:18
MarkR
Mark Richardson
m.t.richardson2@gmail...
My friend has a masters in something like librarian and information management. I'll ask her when she gets back (few weeks though :( )
2011-02-18 07:09:34IPCC
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Doesn't the IPCC maintain a current listing of such papers as they are published?

If not, what about the National Acadamies of Science? 

2011-02-18 08:12:35
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

It would be amazing if there was an existing database that we could essentially dump into a diagraming program.  I've seen diagrams like this before but don't know what they're called.  I'm searching around to see if there is an off-the-shelf program that does this.

I read in a Harvard Business Review article once about how Southwest Airlines uses this technique for evaluating the strength of their business units and how interconnected they are with the structure of their overall company.  Sort of a way to decide whether to outsource.

2011-02-18 08:21:19
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
I imagine the result would something like this.
2011-02-18 08:29:16We are halfway there to this kind of database
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
It's not that much of a stretch to get to this kind of database. We have our database of papers already, and we have been talking about having a category of climate components (originally intended for categorizing rebuttals/posts). So all I have to do is create a mapping facility - exactly the same way we map blog posts to skeptics (which I added to the Skeptic Admin last night).

I don't have citations though. Again, a simple mapping table would solve this. But building a database of citations would be a HUUUUGE job. Are we sure we want to go down that road? I suppose we could crowd source it by opening that task to the public and making the results public from the get-go. Or is a citations database available somewhere else? Could citation results be scraped from elsewhere?

Anyway, to make this happen, the first step would be to build a list of climate components/areas of research (which we need to do anyway). I suggest this should happen as a forum discussion first so others can weigh in on the list.

2011-02-18 08:38:37
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

We'd need to decide the impact of such a chart would be worth the effort.  If a database that included citations was available and didn't take too much massaging to enter...  and there was a program that would fairly easily generate the diagram...  Then it might be a powerful tool to show people the full extent of the science that's been done on climate change and how well in agreement it is.

If it's a huge job everyone's efforts are probably better spent on other things. 

2011-02-18 08:44:55
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

There was a search engine front end that produced diagrams like that, can't remember what it was called though.

Actually, maybe I should get my brain into gear. I'm on the emailing list of electronic media alumni!

I'll ask them if they know of anything. The lecturers are on the list as well.

2011-02-18 08:51:57
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
You know the other thing I've seen that is similar to this?  There was some sort of program running on FaceBook at one point that would show you your entire network of friends, friends of friends, etc.  That one was perfect.  Exact same structure.  A person is to friends what a paper is to citations.
2011-02-18 09:05:53
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

This wasn't the graphic search engine I meant, but it is similar:

http://www.touchgraph.com/seo

2011-02-18 09:09:20
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
The Ville....  I think that's close but there has to be more interconnectivity between the "nodes."  I'm going to keep searching for that FaceBook thing because that one was exactly right.
2011-02-18 09:10:26
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

Here we go...

http://danielmclaren.net/node/77 

2011-02-18 09:12:54
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
I like this guy already.  "Sushi-propelled Idea Monkey."  Daniel McLaren.
2011-02-18 10:15:18
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

OMG!!  You guys have DEFINITELY got to check out this guy's work!

http://apps.asterisq.com/gac_constellation/ 

2011-02-18 10:30:20
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

And here's his company....

http://asterisq.com/ 

2011-02-18 10:52:28Okay, that is pretty sexy
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

It is pretty cool, the http://apps.asterisq.com/gac_constellation/ app.

So we have a possible means. To make this reality will require at least one person take the lead in investigating how to create these flash files then give me specific instructions on how I can supply the data for you - I presume I'd need to provide a data feed of some sort, perhaps in XML format.

Since James brought up the subject of press releases, I've been thinking about what we could do that's "press release" worthy. Past releases such as the iPhone app, Android app and Guide to Skepticism would've been good for press releases so I'm kicking myself the press release idea only presented itself this year (James, why didn't your mum suggest this earlier?!?!).

I'm thinking a press release needs to contain something newsworthy enough to catch people's interest, to contribute a valuable, unique resource that has a bit of x-factor. This kind of flash visual resource is I think press release worthy - the interesting features are the visual sexiness of it all, the fact that it's crowd sourced, that it provides a kick-arse resource and that it's about a controversial & current issue. So if someone wants to take the lead with this, I'll support whatever data feed needs you require.

2011-02-18 11:05:27Another mind-blowing app
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Just browsing through the asterisq website - here's another uber-cool app. You enter a twitter username and it displays other twitter users that have linked to it:

http://apps.asterisq.com/mentionmap/#user-skepticscience

It just runs so smoothly and interactively - a launch of this type of feature would have to include a YouTube movie to show how nicely it is to use.

Had another thought - what if we use this to show the hierarchy of skeptic arguments. Eg - the system starts with "It's not happening", "It's not us", etc. You click one and subarguments appear, click those and other subarguments appear. I'm not sure what the end destination would be - whether it be link to our rebuttals or link to peer reviewed papers - this idea is probably separate to the peer-reviewed paper idea. But the x-factor with this concept is that SkS contains the world's largest database of skeptic arguments (to my knowledge) so we're making that information accessible via a sexy flash interface.

2011-02-18 11:06:39
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

I've already sent a initial contact email to Daniel to see if something like this is interesting to him.  

You also have to check out the Lord of the Rings piece he did. 

2011-02-18 11:21:38Lord of the Rings
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

As a long time Tolkien fan (I was obsessed with LOTR in high school), I can't begin to express how cool it is. The Flash is amazing. I think I love the xkcd comic even better. So much love (and creativity, what a concept!) went into that cartoon!

Do you need Daniel to make this happen? He had a bunch of tutorials on his website so I gathered it was the kind of thing someone could do using his scripts if they knew how to use Flash.

2011-02-18 11:40:49Press Releases
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

John Cook:

There are a number of media sites that will post links to standard news releases issued by NGOs. Common Dreams and BNA are two that come to mind off the top of my head. If you want to do at trial run to see what happens, you could creank out a release about the Monckton Myths series. One issue though, standard news releases require the name and telephone number of a contact person. Are you willing to spend time talking to the press when they call? 

2011-02-18 12:06:31
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...
John...  I have no idea how this works.  It's WAY outside my range.  It would take me a year to even start to understand how that works.  If this is something that can be done internally all the better.
2011-02-18 12:33:52Call for Flash users?
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

If anyone here knows how to use flash and is interested in digging into this, let us know. Or if you know technical people who might be interested in such a project, perhaps contact them. If someone comes forward, we'll take this further.

Badgersouth, yes, good idea to test drive a Monckton Myths press release. I'll post something at http://www.commondreams.org/ and http://www.bna.com/ - are those the websites? Anyone know where one goes to submit press releases there?

2011-02-18 19:00:37
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
Well I did my greenhouse effect simulator using Flash.

I'll have a look at Daniels Actionscripts.

Got an appointment with the dentist today, so don't expect a quick appraisal!
2011-02-18 19:07:37
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
John, where are the tutorials on Daniels site you mentioned??

2011-02-18 19:25:15
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I found this for the constellation roamer:

http://asterisq.com/products/constellation/roamer/integration

It uses an XML file. I would think it would be straight forward to create an XML file from the SkS database, although the idea of collating info from research papers and creating an XML file would be more tricky.

He gives two options, one is a 'static' XML file, the other is an XML file provided via a PHP interface, so it could be generated dynamically.

The other stuff is just about embedding the app in a page and customizing it. The main issue is the creation of the XML file.

2011-02-18 20:20:02Actually, I think I found a deal breaker
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
To use the program, you need to pay a license fee of USD$550. So I think it would have to be something Daniel would have to take on solely because the concept intrigued him and he saw it as a good opportunity to promote his software. So Rob, if he contacts you, you'll have to pitch the concept (and let him know I'd be happy to promote his app and rave glowingly about it - especially the LOTR and Twitter apps, which are mind bogglingly amazing). Be sure to use your extensive storytelling skills :-)

One thing though, what is the concept? Peer reviewed papers? Is that sexy enough? What about skeptic arguments with the selling point being that we have the world's largest database of skeptic arguments, sorted by hierarchy and with links to rebuttals.

Then after that, maybe we can ask him to do a Doctor Who timeline :-)

2011-02-18 20:43:27
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

Greenpeace used a similar mapping system for their Exxonsecrets site

2011-02-19 03:34:00
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

John...  The idea I have in my head is peer reviewed papers.  There are a number of attributes that could make for a compelling overall picture of the science behind climate change.  And I think this is part of the problem with climate change.  People hear equally from the denier side and the science side but the two are not even close (hence, The Denominator).

My sense of smaller implementations of this (like the Greenpeace one perseus linked) are much less compelling than something like the Twitter tool that you saw. 

I think if people were presented with an engaging dynamic graphical tool to look at the full body of climate science they'd be flabbergasted.  Dangling off on the side somewhere you'd see the isolated Lindzen, Michaels, Spencer, et al papers all sort of referencing each other.  Then you'd see this absolutely massive body of highly networked scientific papers related to climate change.

You could add all sorts of parameters into the mix.  Authors, Journals, field of science, dates (giving a temporal aspect)...  You could have each paper's relevance increase or decrease the size of the node icon based on how may papers reference back to it.   

I'll wait to see if Daniel gets back to me. 

2011-02-19 07:19:47
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Where is the source of data for the research papers going to come from?

Is there a freely available source already?

2011-02-19 10:42:53
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

Got a response back from those guys at Asterisq.  They said they're swamped with work and not taking on any projects with budgets less than $10,000.  I didn't hear the sound of anyone gripped with passion for the climate there.

They mentioned the licensing avenue.  

It's a fun idea.  But it seems like a back burner project. 

2011-02-19 12:41:29Source of papers
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
SkS has a database of peer reviewed papers. They're categorized as neutral, proAGW or skeptic. Eg - here's proAGW papers over the last year:

http://skepticalscience.com/article.php?p=365&t=5&b=3

You can add papers to this database via the firefox add-on (which I encourage everyone here to do whenever you encounter a paper). The database isn't comprehensive by any means but it can be crowd sourced. So if we ever wanted to put in a concerted effort to really build the database, make it more comprehensive, we have the infrastructure - we just need a specific project for motivation.

Anyway, Rob, you've sold me on your idea - I love the visual of a sea of green proAGW papers vs a tiny blot of red representing skeptical papers. Meet the denominator indeed! Refute that, Poptech! Perhaps there's a free flash template somewhere online that would enable us to connect a visual interface to our database. If someone is able to work the flash side, all that would be needed then is to provide me specs on how they want the data provided (eg - an XML feed).

2011-02-19 21:21:31
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I just found a tutorial about loading and using XML files in Flash.

Something I haven't done before, would look good on my CV !

I would be willing to work on a simple application (at least to start with. It could grow) that showed the number of neutral, proAGW or Skeptic papers in graphical form. Maybe also split into categories as well??

How it would work:

1. People add papers via the firefox add on.
2. Some code on Johns server collates the data and works out the numbers of neutral, pro and skeptic papers (maybe other data later such as categories).
3. The server code creates an XML file and puts it into a specific location on the server.
4. When someone views the page with the Flash file embedded, the Flash app takes the latest XML file from the server and displays the info.

It might need managing though once it gets out, maybe entries into the database would need moderating to make sure the papers were registered to the correct 'side'.

Work 'plan':

1. Specify the format of the XML (for those that don't know XML, The 'syntax' is like HTML, accept you define your own tags).
2. John or someone has a go at the code for the server.
3. I'll have a go at the Flash.

I suggest basic graphics like circles to represent the data. eg. the area of the circle representing the numbers.
Also I suggest the graphics are animated, to make it a little more interesting. What I mean is that the circle would 'grow from zero to the final area that represents the number of papers'

Alternatively each paper could be represented by a graphic and one could use a different graphic for each 'type' of paper.
Maybe the graphic represents the type, whilst the colour represents pro, skeptic and neutral??

This is a very simple version of what most are discussing, but it would be a start.
Remember the 'KISS' design philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid).

2011-02-19 22:54:25Flash design - very cool!
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I just started a thread on the database, not having read this post:

http://skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=959&r=0

Basically, the database is ready to go. It needs some work as I discuss on the other thread but I could quickly set up an XML feed for you - just email me the specs or post them here.

Design wise, KISS is good. The take-home message should probably be proAGW papers overwhelmingly outweigh skeptic papers. I'm picturing a sea of green papers wi a small sprinkling of red, perhaps? Lots of creative ways to communicate this concept.

Technically, what do you think of this idea? When we release this, we also make the XML feed and the flash file available - encourage others to play with the data, try creative ways to display the data and send it to us?

2011-02-20 01:14:09
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I might have a go at AJAX instead of Flash.
I have done some Javascript as well as Flash/Actionscript.

The reason being is that my media contacts say flash isn't very portable to mobiles.

2011-02-20 01:52:00
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
Can't seem to post XML on here!

Unless someone can say how to incorporate the tag brackets (less than, more than symbols).

I'll send an email to you john with an idea for the XML.
2011-02-20 05:01:05
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Got a basic Javascript/XML (AJAX) interface working now with a dummy XML file. (In reality, I haven't set it up as asynchronous yet, not sure that will be nessacery )

Had trouble with Internet Explorer, but fixed that. Works with PC- IE7, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Mac - Firefox, Safari, Opera.

Will start on the graphics/display next. All i have at the moment are the numbers displayed as text, but at least it is getting the data out of the XML file on my test server.

Might not be able to test with IE6, unless someone here has access to it.

2011-02-21 10:16:02
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Just posting an update on this little project (not so little really!).

We have settled on a suitable XML file format for this first phase and John has it set up on the server.

I thought I would put the 'visualisation' idea pass the forum.

Basically the data will be displayed as a 'research atmosphere', composed of 'research papers'. There will be 3 types in the atmosphere, 'skeptic', 'neutral' and 'proAGW'. These will be represented by circles of different colours (probably semi-transparent), example: the number of circles of the 'skeptic' colour will be equal to the number of skeptic papers in the SkS database.

So as more papers are added, the atmosphere will get denser (there will be a fixed area to fill with 'atmosphere').
Basically what you would see is a rectangle full of three different colored circles, mixed up like gases. At the bottom there will be a key, which associates the colours with the paper stances.
I am also considering animation, eg, if there were more proAGW papers, the circles might vibrate and move around more. Alternatively if there were more proAGW papers a temperature gauge would indicate a higher temperature.

We have also thought about adding categories and how that might be visualised. But that is some way off yet.

BTW this idea may change, visual implementations some times don't always work out as originally intended!

2011-02-21 12:37:16Possible embellishment
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Not sure about adding a temperature gauge - that might be taking the metaphor too far, making it unnecessarily complicated.

Here's a possibility that could add a level of interactivity, give it some extra oomph, that bit of X-factor. What if you have a date slider? So people can select papers within a specified date range. That way they can see how the consensus has evolved over time.

Technically, I can supply that data by including the years in the XML feed. Eg - peer_1850_2010.xml and whenever the date slider is changed, your app calls a different xml feed (peer_1990_2000.xml). So someone could just look at papers in 2010, for instance. I imagine how the consensus would evolve over time is starting with a lot of grey and gradually green dominates more and more with the sprinkling of red throughout.

2011-02-21 12:39:59Oh and quality control on our database of papers
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I've started looking through the list of papers at:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/peerreview.php

I corrected some papers that had incorrect dates and also reclassifed some E&E papers as "online articles" rather than "peer review papers". I also added Arrhenius and Tyndall - look at the very bottom of the proAGW column.

Others are encouraged to add any other papers not yet included via the Firefox Add-on.

2011-02-21 18:55:39
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I like the date/slider idea.

Is generating a different file name the best way to do it??

I suppose it does keep the amount of data in the file small. The alternative is to have a record in the file for every paper, which would be a lot of data in one file.

A new slider setting would request a new XML file in order to update the display.
I think I'll get the basic display working first, don't change the current XML file name until I have got the basics working.

BTW I am using the XMLHTTPrequest API, you would need to generate the 'date' file when you get that.

2011-02-21 23:12:52
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

Hi all,

this sounds like the start of a really useful resource.  A couple of suggestions come to mind; firstly rather than keep the URL of the paper it would be better to use the digital object identifier (DOI), where they exist as publishers have an irritating habit of moving web pages about (I know this from the bibliography I keep on my research topics).  Secondly it would be good to have the authors listed as well as the title and be able to sort by author (that would be especially useful when adding new papers).  Thirdly, the ability to import and export BiBTeX format would be really useful as that is what is generally used in writing the papers to bbegin with, so authors of peer-reviewed papers can then send you their BiBTeX files and save a lot of typing when uploading the data.

What would be really good would be annotated bibliographies on particular topics, so that someone wanting to learn about a particular topic can be guided through the litterature, with a brief review for each paper summarsing the key finding and saying why the paper is worth reading.  I know that would be a big job, but the "added-value" of the annotation would really make a differece.  If poptech could do that then he would have a resource that might actually be useful!

2011-02-21 23:14:18
Dikran Marsupial
Gavin Cawley
gcc@cmp.uea.ac...

BTW, I emailed the IPCC secretariat to ask them if they had the reference list used in the GW1 report in electronically readable format, but unfortunately they don't :-(

2011-02-22 01:26:04Annotated Bibliographies
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...
I second Dirkan's recommendation.
2011-02-22 01:34:40Journal Reference
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

ScienceDaily provides a "Journal Reference" at the end of each article about the findings contained in a newly released paper or papers -- easy to cut & paste this info into a SkS bibliography.

2011-02-22 02:41:39
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

John, regarding 'phase 2' of this idea and version 2 of the XML, I think you would need to add a 'currentyear' tag.

The client side javascript code could use the client computer date to obtain the current year, then send a request using your file name idea. However the client computer battery might be dead and the date might be wrong (I have an old Mac with a dead battery). Or the date/time might be set incorrectly on the client.

But if by default you always put the current year from the server clock into the XML file, I could just do an XMLHTTP call for say 1850 (doesn't matter what year/range as long as it is in the past) and read the current year from the file, from that I could then work out the range for the date slider and the max year that can be sent to you. This method means the clients clock isn't needed and the year slider is 'synced' with the server clock. Also, might be a good idea to have a default 'current year' (2011??) which ever method is used!

BTW I can understand why you suggested the dates filename idea, it would be easy to implement and wouldn't need the client to have knowledge of any server scripts. Keeps it 'contained' and others could do their own visualisations.

2011-02-22 06:38:26
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

I got some additional information today from the folks at Asterisq.  Email attached here:

Hi Rob,

You might also find Protovis' force-directed layouts helpful. Requires some Javascript experience but their visualizations are well-built and it's all open source.

Here's a link to their force-directed layout demo:
http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/force.html

Not sure if John sent this already but the free version of Roamer might also be of use to you. I've attached the software package--the only difference between that and the full version is the Asterisq logo in the lower right corner.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Daniel

2011-02-22 07:31:44
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

The problem with protovis is that it won't work on current Internet Explorer browsers. It will probably work on IE9.

I'm currently playing with Raphael:

http://raphaeljs.com/

2011-02-22 07:58:12
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

I think it should be pointed out that we aren't currently trying to implement Robs idea.

As John has pointed out, creating the data for Robs idea in a suitable format would be a huuuuuuge job. That is my understanding.

The idea that is currently being worked on is simple and the data is immediately available, it's almost like a sophisticated online poll but with fancy graphics. It can be achieved in weeks (a prototype for the first version, in days hopefully), rather than months or even a year or two for Robs idea.

Having said that, the way things are going, we'll probably end up with a number of graphical projects, each one growing in sophistication.

2011-02-22 08:10:07
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Another idea that may develop from this is a 'widget' that people could embed in their own web sites, maybe with the SkS logo on it. But that has bandwidth issues. I don't know if Johns server could handle lots of widgets on peoples web sites all trying to grab XML files. So maybe a widget would not be practical.

Currently I am trying to make sure the graphics code is 'adaptable', eg, so it can easily be tweaked to fit in various spaces in a web page.

2011-02-22 08:48:34
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Actually with Adobe SVG viewer installed Protovis seems to work fine in Internet Explorer.
But it means most Windows users would have to install the viewer.

I'm quite happy to change to Protovis at this early stage if peeps prefer it, I think John might need to make an 'executive' decision.

Do we want to make a large chunk of current IE users download an Adobe ActiveX plugin, to view the graphics??
They would need instructions to go to the Adobe download page.

ADDED: Although I am not so sure how 'rich' the graphic potential of Protovis is.

2011-02-22 09:00:11
Rob Honeycutt

robhon@mac...

Not trying to alter the course here.  This is way outside my field of expertise.  Just trying to offer any information that might prove useful.  

The Ville, if you're the one putting in the time you should work with whatever you are most comfortable with. 

2011-02-22 09:08:04Executive decision
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I leave the technical stuff up to you guys. I wouldn't get too hung up on it though. One major goal of SkS is to start things and see where they head. For example, I just posted a pic of 'Warming Indicators' and it led to animated powerpoints, movie files, animated GIFs, translations, etc. Just by getting the ball rolling. So I think a large role of SkS is just to provide resources and let other people run with them and who knows what might happen.

In this case, I think we post something but importantly, we also make the data available to people in the form of XML feeds or some kind of API interface. This will give other programmers the opportunity to play with the data, create other visualisations, and who knows what might come from it.

So the main goal of this project is to be the first step, create an interesting enough visualisation that it attracts people's interest but with luck, will inspire others to try other things.

2011-02-23 19:25:38
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
Just a minor update.

Now that I am getting serious with the graphics, I have realised that there might be a 'performance' issue with my original idea, so am looking at ways to solve the problem or simplify the idea.
This is pretty normal though! The imagination goes flying off, then the software brings you back down to Earth :-)

2011-02-24 00:21:11
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Hmm, take a bus ride and a solution comes to mind!
Oh the joys of coding. Lets see if it works...

Added: Okey Dokey, my bad! Back on track now.

2011-02-24 02:19:52
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Excellent, performance problem solved!

Apologies for thinking aloud on this forum :-)