2011-02-17 00:35:51Is Sea Level Rise Uniform?
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I recall reading a paper about this a few months ago but cannot find it. I've researched a number of sources about SLR, but they do not address the issue. What does the science tell us? 

2011-02-17 02:13:48Found it!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I refound what I was looking for in Dr Peter Hoath's guest post, "Visual Depicitions of Sea Level Rise."

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Visual-depictions-of-Sea-Level-Rise.html

2011-02-17 02:35:06
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Thermal expansion would be uneven, so you wouldn't have an even sea rise.

As far as the Atlantic goes, my understanding is that the East coast of the US would be worse off than the coasts of Europe.
Also I believe that most of the flow from Greenland would be into the Atlantic, then it has to make it's way out into the Pacific etc.
If you look at a world map, you have a lot of islands blocking the path North of Canada, then the only route to the Pacific is the tiny Bering Straights. The main route is around Cape Horn or Cape of Good Hope.

So if it was a fast melting you would get a bulge in the Atlantic for quite a few years, but if it were slower, then it would have time to distribute to the other seas/oceans.

Some research:

Melting Greenland Ice Sheets May Threaten Northeast United States, Canada

Response of the global ocean to Greenland and Antarctic ice melting (I think this one represents an extreme case)

2011-02-17 04:25:41The Ville
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Thanks for the links.

The paer that I read a few months ago was about concentrations of sea level increases in the euqatorial regions of the Pacific. One of these days I'll restumble upon it.

2011-02-17 05:17:11
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
One interesting misunderstanding some people have is the difference between the speed a wave travels and the speed that water can physically move. You might get someone on a forum suggesting that water will quickly distribute across the Earth because waves travel fast. But of course a wave is primarily the transmission of energy and water isn't really moved much (it actually moves in a circular motion in the vertical plain) by a wave.
Something to look out for in some discussions.

2011-02-17 07:49:29Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
Bamber and Riva (2010) will answer your questions. Available free at the cryosphere.
2011-02-17 20:19:22
MarkR
Mark Richardson
m.t.richardson2@gmail...

No it isn't, pretty graph here!

Shows some similar characteristics to temperature - e.g. some areas have falling sea levels, but most areas are rising and the fastest rise is bigger & more widespread than the fastest fall. In reality, the total volume of sea water is going up, and eventually the 'rise' signal will swamp the 'noise' signal and the areas of falling seas will shrink...

But until then, expect some of the climate liars to pounce on the few bits where it's falling and ignore everything else.