2011-02-10 07:08:30Are the 'bad guys' more vocal or organised than we are?
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

I've just placed a few comments below an article published on the BBC site, by Fiona Fox, Director of the Science Media Centre (an independent press office working on the front line between the national news media and science on controversial issues).  It's about that old favourite, biased coverage. Should public broadcasting media allow similar airtime for opposing views or just focus on the evidence? The BBC charter is summarised here.

It isn't her post I object to (much), but it seems astonishing that normally intelligent viewers of this public organisation haven't made any effort at all to post, leaving the door wide open for a series of Denier rants and myths. This appears to be an intimidatory tactic to convince her that the public want a 'balanced' debate on the BBC and ignore the science, pandering instead to public opinion.  I doubt if this is representative of the viewing public, so this raises the question, are Deniers more vocal, or just organised than rational, honest people?  

I suggested they might find it difficult to find a top climate scientist with an opposing view, since there are only about two left !

2011-02-10 08:06:28
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Peter Sissons again!

I'm really glad he left the BBC. He was a boring fart, even when he wasn't reporting on the weather/climate.

He is on Moncktons email list.

2011-02-10 08:16:33Organised
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

There is that documentary exposing organised workshops on getting "grassroots" people to go on the internet, posting conservative views everywhere. There is all the fossil funding that goes directly to disseminating disinformation. And the thinktanks like Heartland Institute are very skilled at getting their talking heads into the MSM. So yes, we are up against it.

Here at SkS, we have no budget but we have passion and know-how so my hope is to use social media to harness that passion in fighting back against the organised misinformation.

2011-02-10 08:30:01
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
I have just posted a comment on that BBC blog.
Although maybe I should have read the complete article before posting.
2011-02-10 12:51:50Thank God!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I suspect that the majority of people who read articles posted on mass media websites seldom read the comment threads.  

2011-02-10 13:06:38Blog comments
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Later this year, I will probably be collaborating with some cognitive scientists to perform some experiments on SkS to test whether positive or negative comment threads have an impact on reader retention. Should be interesting results which if significant should get published in peer review. If there's no significant difference, the whole procedure will have ben a waste of time but that's the risk you take when you do science. :-)
2011-02-10 19:28:13
perseus

owlsmoor@googlemail...

I think the comments in this case are part of an orchestrated campaign (possibly by the Bishop Hill group) to influence Fiona Fox who is "Director of the Science Media Centre - an independent press office working on the front line between the national news media and science on controversial issues."

Joe Romm has been very critical of the BBC (possibly because he expects more of them) with headline's such as 'what has happened to global warming?'

Here is Richard Black's response