2011-02-02 06:43:34Letter to US Congress re Climate Change
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Today (Feb 1), a group of prominent US climate scientists sent an open letter to all members of the US Congress (i.e., House & Senate).

To access this letter, go to: http://www.projectonclimatescience.org/

The letter opens with..

"As you begin your deliberations in the new 112th Congress, we urge you to take a fresh look at climate change. Climate change is not just an environmental threat but, as we describe below, also poses challenges to the U.S. economy, national security and public health."
2011-02-02 07:04:05Neat letter
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

And I really liked this quote:

"But we urge you, as our elected representatives, to base your policy decisions on sound science, not sound bites."

The question just is: are all of the recipients able - and willing! - to tell the difference?

2011-02-02 09:11:34BaerbelW
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

By and large, the letter will fall on deaf ears in Congress.

Of course, the Climate Denieal Spin Machine will engage in a full scale attack on both the letter's contents and the scientists who signed it.

In my opinion, the letter is very well written. I will mine it for quotes when I engage in blogging.  

2011-02-02 20:16:04Passing a reading comprehension test....
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

....should be a necessary qualification for anybody elected to any position of power. At least - as they all received this letter - they later won't be able to weasel out with "I was never told" when confronted with questions of why they didn't act in time. They actively decided (or it was decided for them) to ignore the facts which couldn't have been stated more clearly.

Cheers
Baerbel