2011-01-31 05:40:01Teaching climate science in a coal town
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
Interesting article about a science teachers in a US coal town:

http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2011/01/30/news/today/news00.txt

Referring to an educational movie made by the coal industry:
“The gist of the movie was that it was good to put more CO2 into the atmosphere because plants will grow faster and don’t need as much water,” he said. “It made some sense, but it was largely picking its issues to say burning coal is good.”

Doesn't give a clue to how old the movie is though. Probably quite recent??

Some of the article is disappointing, other bits are quite enlightening.
2011-01-31 07:20:18
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
I think the article gets into some of the real-world issues that teachers have to face in educating kids on this topic. One can't expect all these teachers to "fall on their swords" for this issue: particularly when school districts are cutting teaching staff all over the country. Sometimes you have to back off, to live to fight another day.
2011-01-31 08:48:25Inane statements about George Soros
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I propose that this be a continuous thread.

The follwoing comment is from a blogger commenting on an article in today's (Jan 29) edition of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Alaska seeing impact of climate change in its infrastructure villages

YIKES! Danger, it's GLOBAL WARMING or it's GLOBAL COOLING, uh, we aren't sure at the moment, but PAY your CARBON TAX NOW so we can hurry along with this Cloward-Piven strategy and get this country under water financially ASAP! Or, maybe we can tie environmentalism to social justice and entice those dumbed-down Christians to rally behind this nonsense. Wait, I know, George Soros has had great success in Egypt recently, why not have his paid minions just take over the DOT in Alaska. It appears they have already succeeded at the Squarebanks Daily News Minus! Just Sayin'

2011-01-31 09:18:04
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
The article has some resonance with 'Pirate' who has posted some comments on few of the SKS blog posts.

It was interesting that all the teachers said that 'climate change' and 'global warming' were both appropriate to use.