2011-01-24 06:59:44How reliable is skepticalscience.com as a source of climate information?
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

"How reliable is skepticalscience.com as a source of climate information?"is a Yahoo "Answer" blog posted in October (?) of last year. Perhaps you all have already seen it and discussed it. If not, go to:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101019075800AAtWVLi

BTW: The text of Ottowa Mike's "Answer" post was cut 7 paste by one my nemeses in a comment thread to an article posted on Politico.com. In addtion to the text, my nemesis. "Dahun" posted a fairly large snapshot of John Cook in living color. The article is "President Obama urged to focus on energy in his State of the Union Address" and the comment is #88.

To access to the article, go to:  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47980.html

2011-01-24 08:06:15deniers
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Ottawa Mike is a typical denier.  On Yahoo Answers, SkS is probably the #1 most frequently-cited source by global warming realists, so deniers try to attack it.  Plus I'm the #1 answerer in the Global Warming section, and they know I'm an author here, so it gives them even more motivation to attack the site.

You'll notice in my answer to Ottawa Mike's question, I explained why all of his supposed SkS "contradictions" were not contradictions at all.  But of course being a denier, he wasn't interested in hearing that, so he just ignored my answer and picked a fellow denier's as "best", even though that answer was nothing more than an ad hominem.

Your nemesis is just a typical denier looking for ways to dismiss scientific evidence he doesn't want to believe.  If you want to refute his reference to Ottawa Mike's question, feel free to copy and paste my answer to it.

2011-01-24 08:32:05dana1981
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Muchos gracias.

2011-01-24 11:01:14Lesson learnt re that terrible photo of me
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Learn from my mistakes. Andy Revkin did an article about Skeptical Science and asked for a photo of me. I didn't have anything current so I got Wendy to take a photo of me with the iPhone and I emailed him that. It's a terrible photo but I'm not a particularly good looking person so I didn't think much of it. But then when skeptics started using that photo as a way of discrediting me, just by posting pics of the photo whenever they critiqued SkS, it opened my eyes a little. Skeptics will use ANYTHING to distract people from the science and score political points.

And let's face it, we humans are susceptible to these little distractions. Sometimes I'm watching TV and some guy is talking in an interview and I'll say to Wendy "that guy has funny ears" or make some shallow remark on their appearance. And Wendy will say "you're just as bad as those skeptics who make fun of your photo". And she's right (she has an annoying habit of being right a lot).

After that photo came out, a friend sent me a long, detailed email explaining the physics of taking photos with a camera phone from a close distance and why its a bad idea. At the same time, a climate scientist friend emailed saying I should get some professional photos taken. The take-home message I got was we need to pay attention to every detail with outreaching because the tiniest oversight can distract from your message.

2011-01-24 12:36:32dana1981
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Here's my nemesis's, (Dahun's) respnse to my post of your (Dana's) rebuttal to Ottowa Mike -- just the first three paragaphs of it.

Your denials are blatantly absurd.  The quotations are very plain and show how easily Cook changes his "facts" to suit the occasion.

#1 You say that when the models show that the troposphere should warm faster than the surface and then 2 years later say they are not, somehow is not contradictory.  
#2 First it is claimed that the oceans should be cooling if the oceans were feeding warming and the claim is made that this is not happening.  Then it is stated clearly that the oceans are indeed cooling and you say this is because one or te other is long-term and the other is short-term.  Since the earth has warmed a grand total of 0.75 degrees celcius in 100 years where is the short-term reference?  If Cook is writing to the eighth grade level, he is doing this for the benefit of those who read his blog....people like you. 
#3  Whether you are talking about old predictions which claimed more storms would occur or the revised predictions of fewer, but more intense they have both been proven wrong; over and over just as you have.       

My resonse to Dahun:

Your tirade tells me that you have not bothered to actually read the articles -- but thanks for continuing to highlight them. 

2011-01-24 14:01:36Pick your opponent
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Badger.

Reading the tone of this guys diatribe, the question I would ask is 'is he worth debating at all'? obviously you won't 'turn' him, but will the 'debate' be useful to have in front of the lurkers? What is the tone of this site?

2011-01-24 15:12:53Glenn Tamblyn
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Dahun is an agressive and obnoxious blogger. I counter his blogs in order to provide quality scientific information for the casual reader of the comment thread. The website, Politico.com, is one a popular "go to" site for both people in Wahsington DC and around the US who track what's going on in Washington.

Unlike some of the other media sites, Politico.com does not police its comment threads very tightly. It is also one of the few comment threads that allows the posting of graphics including John Cook's photo. 

2011-01-26 07:41:09
Stephen Leahy

writersteve@gmail...

Bears remembering that some of these deniers are paid to troll. Last Dec Monbiot had a good piece about reclaiming the cyber commons.  He cites a documentary of " trainer" at a Tea Party meeting on how to troll for the right:

“Here’s what I do. I get on Amazon; I type in “Liberal Books”. I go through and I say “one star, one star, one star”. The flipside is you go to a conservative/ libertarian whatever, go to their products and give them five stars. …"

and so on...  

http://bit.ly/f7n4ot 

2011-01-26 15:47:41Comment Threads -- Who reads them?
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Does anyone other than the die-hard supporters of AGW and the die-hard opponents of AGW even bother to read the comment threads of of climate change articles posted on mass media websites?   

2011-01-26 16:21:34
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

I guess I would have to consider myself a die-hard (hopefully) supporter of the science behind AGW (still don't want the damn thing to happen).

But no, I don't bother with those mass-media comment threads.  I would rather spend what little time I have here or with my family.

Both are a more constructive usage of my time.

2011-01-26 18:38:24Impact of comments threads
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
There is some evidence to suggest comments threads have an impact on how readers react to and retain online articles. So I met with some cognitive scientists in Perth last year who want to do an experiment on SkS that tests how readers retain SkS blog posts with either all positive or all skeptic comments. That may be an experiment we try later this year. Looking forward to the results - I expect a signal but will be interesting to see whether there is a discernible effect.
2011-01-26 20:37:29
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Someone can write it up as an SKS article, then we can all argue about the results in the comments!

Then they can analyse the comments of the article about the comments, then someone can write an article and we can comment on the article about comments, about an article about comments, then they can analyse the comments...

2011-01-26 21:06:03
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

I used to spend a lot of time at the IMDb site (movie reviews) at the page for "An Inconvenient Truth", sparring with skeptics. The format was better than with the comment threads for most articles, because you could tie someone down to a theme.

I think it has some useful effect (damps down one aspect of the media echo chamber on all things AGW), but it's wearing.

2011-01-26 22:39:19Comment on the article about comments
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Ville, reading your comment, I'm having flashbacks to Inception.
2011-01-27 00:13:01It is indeed "wearing"!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Neal, You are a master of understatment!

2011-01-27 01:58:42
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
Badgersouth, I've had practice.