2011-01-15 19:48:43for what it's worth... the denial machine.debate from a citizen's perspective
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
citizenschallenge7@gmail...

extending an invitation

see 1/27/11 post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

considering the denial machine, what a long strange trip it has been, an essay... with informative links.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=633&r=0

~ ~ ~ 

In another thread something was said about turning LdCM in a poster child of sorts.

I believe he makes a great clown, but if you want a hard hitting poster child you need to go after 

The Republican Machine.  That's your real poster child...

2011-01-19 15:45:10"Considering the Republican denial machine"...First Draft
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

I have updated the above mentioned essay with a real draft, I think I finally found the rhythm. 

I've got a day and half to work with it.

. . . please take a look

http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=633&r=0

2011-01-19 19:49:35
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...
I thought this was a science site?

Also, although I appreciate the fact that Americans like talking about their politics, why not talk about Albanian politics instead?
By emphasising American politics on a global science discussion site, you are actually aiding the 'Republican' political machine.
2011-01-20 04:33:20sorry
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

That's why this was just a pointer to the "communicating science" thread.

As for why talk about the Republican political machine: Because it is the heart of the AGWHoaxer cottage industry that has fabricated these truck loads of lies and misperceptions that folks throughout the world are gobbling up and using to justify ignoring what the climate science has to say. I believe ignoring it does more harm than good.

PS.   Isn't it painfully obvious that science alone is losing the battle to educate public?  Why and what can be done about it.

Don't get me wrong not for one second am I thinking less science more politics... but the political circus needs to also be addressed.    {at least in my opinion}

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

2nd draft

well, I think it's finally taking shape.  gotten a little plump at 764 words, so I'll focus on trimming.

2011-01-20 09:58:35
Paul D

chillcast@googlemail...

Science is science.
It is, what it is.

As I said, by foisting the subject on non-Americans, you are effectively imposing American politics on everyone else, which frankly is 'Republican'. The way that Republican views effect me, is through intrusion on my life by American culture and politics!

2011-01-20 10:21:36My thoughts
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Like citizenschallege, my "claim to fame" is rebutting what the anti-AGW Spin Machine is posting on the comment threads of climate change articles posted on various media websites. Like citizenschallenge, I am an American.

Having said that, I agree with The Ville. The SkS website is not the appropriate forum for posting an op-ed about American politics. 

I also believe it is inappropriate to ask the SkS authors to review draft political op-eds.   

2011-01-20 15:00:49
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
sorry
2011-01-20 18:04:02
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

cc

No need to apologise for the motivation of why you want to post this elsewhere. My view, by all means use forums such as this to network to help gather technical information for pieces such as yours. However its a big wide world and sometimes we have to trust our own judgement about what we write. We might be wrong. Ce La Vie. Correct it and post again. If you fail, move on, move on, move on.

But SkS intentionally avoids the political aspect that is a quagmire that isn't useful (unless of course you can show some peer reviewed science on how we can GET THOSE NARROW MINDED, NASTY VERMINOUS LOW LIF !@$$#!@^%^&@^&@#^&#@&&@**(@#(#@(()@)#))_@#HOLES to change their ways ... rant over)

Think of this as a forum for distributing useful data to use in the war and discussing strategy and tactics. And this is a War! But sometimes we need to each fight our individual battles. You have too look after your own gun. But there are a lot of folks here who can offer advice on 'how' to look after your gun. 'cause they have done it as well.

2011-01-27 15:55:05What a long strange trip it's been ;-)
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

Glenn Tamblyn:   But SkS intentionally avoids the political aspect that is a quagmire that isn't useful (unless of course you can show some peer reviewed science on how we can GET THOSE NARROW MINDED, NASTY VERMINOUS LOW LIF !@$$#!@^%^&@^&@#^&#@&&@**(@#(#@(()@)#))_@#HOLES to change their ways ... rant over)

Think of this as a forum for distributing useful data to use in the war and discussing strategy and tactics.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

True, true, but there is more going on here than "useful data," just look at some of these threads. . .

Obviously the data isn't being conveyed in a useful manner if we're hearing national leaders calling for cutting of funding for IPCC, eliminating EPA. . . hang on who's know what's next.

Take a look at the news coming out of Washington
Face it, we are in dog fight now, like it or not,

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

So with that preamble let me get back to the prerecorded program.   :-)

{I'm just hoping some of you might see something in this you can use, because in my hands it's useless.}

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hello Friends,
Hope you don’t mind me popping in again to let you know that project ~ I was going on about ~ is pretty much finished.  And I don’t mind sharing that I feel good about ~ I’m hoping it’s a quality piece of science art... 

My blogspot version swelled to 780 words, but that was due to some wonderful last minute feedback I received.  Plus at my website I’m not limited to 750 ;-) 

It isn’t just the essay, but the 40 some links to quality webpages, loaded with appropriate information that I'm feeling good about.  If you’re curious take a look:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=633&r=4
http://citizenschallenge.blogspot.com

2011-01-27 21:31:37
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

citizenschallenge:

I'm unclear about what you're proposing, but I would prefer that this not be posted on the SkS public site.

It's OK for internal discussion, but would be counter-productive to maintaining SkS's role and public profile.

2011-01-28 05:04:57Do not post
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...
I agree with Neal and others. This blog should not be posted on the SkS website.
2011-01-28 08:13:43
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

Yes Nealjking and Badgersouth

I agree with both of you and I never thought of this as a potential SkS post.  And do not propose it as such. 

Of course there are other venues, where I think it would be appropriate, so if anyone has a lonely website looking for a fresh post, it's here for the taking.    ;-)

It's more 'for your information' and consideration - and greedy me for potential substantive feedback.

citizenschallenge.pm@gmail.com

2011-01-28 09:49:57
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

If you want to see the denial machine close up (Heartland Institute version), look at this:

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2011/20110126_HeartlandChart.png

This is from Hansen's website.