2010-10-07 03:11:33California approves solar projects
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

With all the frustration associated with global warming denial and our inability to reach international climate agreements or pass domestic climate legislation, it's nice to get a little bit of good news.

The Department of Interior today announced final approval of two large solar energy projects in southern California that will produce 754 MW - one solar thermal and a smaller solar PV.  The Bureau of Land Management has been expediting approval of large solar projects on BLM land in order to meet the deadline to secure funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (a.k.a. the stimulus that Republicans would have us believe hasn't accomplished anything). Since July, the BLM and CA Energy Commission have given final or preliminary approval to nine large solar projects that together will bring more than 4,000 megawatts of clean, renewable power on-line in coming years, enough to power about 1.2 million homes, including a 1 GW concentrated solar thermal project in southern CA.  Full story at ClimateProgress.

It reminds me that while I'm often embarrassed to be American, I'm proud to be Californian.  At least assuming we defeat Proposition 23 in November, which would effectively repeal the state's global warming law.  If that proposition passes, I'm going to be incredibly pissed off on November 3rd.

2010-10-08 05:53:45
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...
Yup, good news indeed. And I've got my fingers crossed that prop 23 is defeated too.