2011-05-19 07:47:42Have you thought about regional hubs?
julienx2k2

julienx2k2@gmail...

I was thinking about that when writing the rebuttal to Humlum & Co. Just brainstorming :)

There is a lot of disinformation in the media, and none of us can have full overview of what is published in our own country. Therefore I've been thinking about the concept of "regional hubs", that readers of SkS could contact from the main page, in order to inform us about an article they've seen in their local/regional/national news outlet.

This way we could answer especially to the skeptics in our country. I am thinkign about that because I know there are some skeptics active in Scandinavia and that have never been fought against by an international website sucha as SkS. Being able to be kept tuned by readers about what is published would allow us to systematically build a database of the local skeptics. There is already a way to notify SkS about the mostly used skeptics arguments, can this feature be upgraded?

Dunno what you think about that?

J

2011-05-19 10:32:25Yes, I have thought about it
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I was thinking - create a Rapid Response Network (which was one of my goals for 2011 but haven't even started yet), initially globally but then develop it so people can narrow it down to focus on their own country/region.

Who knows, maybe I'll even start it sometime this year!

2011-07-02 10:27:28Another variation on this theme...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Rather than having a single SkS website, what about creating a network of country-specific websites such as SkS-Sweden where everything would be posted in Swedish?  

Under this concept, the existing SkS website would become the "mother ship," i.e., SkS International.  All rebuttals posted on SkS-Intl would be translated and posted on the satellites in their country's respective native language. Country specific articles could also be posted. (Does the average Swede really want to read articles about wacko US politicans?)

On the downside, this concept would require money to host each website and an author team from each country who would matintain the website; write and post articles; and, monitor and respond to comments.

BTW -- Under the exisitng set-up, the average Swede who cannot read English can read an SkS article that has been translated. Can that person comment on the article as well?

2011-07-02 11:36:21This kind of idea needs a lot of infrastructure we don't have
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

It would need significant programming hours I don't have plus lots of people in different countries plus money to fund the domains, hosting, etc. I think it would be possible to get people and money but the main problem with SkS at the moment is the programming bottleneck with me doing all the PHP work. That's a real chain around our neck that's bothering me a fair bit - we need a way of somehow opening up the programming to a PHP/MySQL team of some sort. I have no experience in doing that though - I've always been a one-man-show. So that is some unexplored territory we're going to have to face one of these days.

2011-07-02 20:53:32
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Badgersouth:

"Under the exisitng set-up, the average Swede who cannot read English can read an SkS article that has been translated. Can that person comment on the article as well?"

from the wiki article on education in Sweden: "Before being accepted to a higher education programme in Sweden, all applicants must demonstrate a minimum proficiency in Swedish and English by either taking 2 years of Swedish and English or passing Swedish B and English A."

If a Swede cannot read english, I don't think s/he's part of our target audience.

2011-07-03 01:13:00
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Not to rehash the language thing, as I know that was but an example, but English tends to be the lingua franca of both commerce, diplomacy and science.

As such, not having SkS translations available in all languages so that none may be left out, while unfortunate, is probably not the best allocation of manpower.  And manpower is our most timely and irreplaceable resource.

Time, once lost, is irretrievable.  The law of diminishing returns, like Mother Nature when crossed, is a bee-otch.

2011-07-05 04:09:09nealjking
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Not to be picky, but SkS rebuttals have already been translated into Swedish.  

2011-07-05 04:18:03
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

B.: That's nice, but it could hardly be said to be urgent. The average Swede can certainly deal with English in written form.