2011-03-10 09:12:26How Not to Talk About Energy
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
As SkS is moving more into solutions, this opinion piece on how to talk about energy has some interesting points:

http://bit.ly/ejq8vy

2011-03-10 11:07:32
seaturtles

michelle.waterman1@gmail...

Excellent John, I run workshops on waste reduction, rainbarrel projects, and wil have an energy auditor and energy efficiency workshop as well. I have shifted from BTUS and any scientific language, don't mention conservation that much either. The point is to save money because energy will become more expensive in the future.

We have a common denominator here: money.

2011-03-10 11:12:06
seaturtles

michelle.waterman1@gmail...

On another note, is to ask the audience for their opinion. Are you aware of energy politics around the world? How current affairs in the Middle East affect my personal life? When tallking to people, establish a connect, I would even say on a personal level, but maintain a certain distance (you are the expert). Bring a bill or someone who has taken steps to reduce their energy costs. People need to see concrete results.

2011-03-10 11:31:28A perfect example of this in my own household
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

We have this little meter that records how much electricity we're using at any given instant. I'm always looking at the part that says how much we're using in kilowatts while Wendy is only interested in the part that says how many cents it's costing us. I'm going to make a concerted effort to be more aware of the dollars and cents, rather than the kilowatt hours - and talk in units of money when talking to people about reducing electricity usage.