2011-01-21 16:05:10Can this SS page get citations?
Shirley_Rocks
Shirley Pulawski
missfabulous@verizon...

Hey all.. I introduced myself here a few months back, but got a bit overwhelmed by life for a bit (school, family, death, taxes, and lately especially death, but that also has lit a fire under the whoo-ha for me) and didn't contribute for a while. So back into another semester as a grad student, I found myself looking for some info on the decoupling of solar irradiance with global climate since the 1970s, because one of my profs wasn't aware of that. About 3-4 years ago, I had a great NASA graph that showed how as of about 1970, global temps increased despite the solar variability. The NASA chart had the same glowing molten sun background most of the NASA solar variation graphs use. I haven't been able to find it since, but tonight, since he asked to see it, I did find this one here at SS: http://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm

It shows exactly what I saw at the NASA site all those years ago, but the problem with sharing this with a prof or anyone is that the data source behind the chart isn't credited (unless it's somewhere on the page I didn't see), so I'm posting this to ask for a citation to the data used in designing that graph. I'm assuming it's NASA data, but all of our lives might be easier if a link to the source is provided. As a grad student, I can't provide information "out of thin air" and while I understand the background to this chart, it otherwise appears to come out of thin air without references.

I think even the beginner stuff should have references for the sake of credibility and helping those who really want to learn onto deeper insight of the issues.

Thanks, and hope to get more active here soon as I return to the world of the living. A sudden death of someone somewhat young and still convinced of invincibility can really throw a whole family off its game, but also lend new perspective. This is all we have folks: what is right in front of us, and despite plans we make, there might not be a tomorrow. I'm looking to treat each today I am granted more wisely...

2011-01-21 16:33:58Cites
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

The cites for this graph can be found in our Climate Graphics section:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=5

Global temperature anomaly comes from NASA GISS. The thin light red is the annual temperature anomaly with the thick red line showing the 11 year moving average. Total Solar Irradiance (TSI) comes from two sources - 1880 to 1978 is reconstructed TSI from Solanki and 1979 to 2009 is satellite measurements from PMOD. The thin light blue is the annual average with the thick dark blue line showing the 11 year moving average of TSI.

2011-01-21 18:49:182010
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...
Are you going to update that graph with 2010 data?
2011-01-24 10:02:13
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

FYI:

The basic version that Shirley links to has an unclosed italic html tag.

2011-01-24 10:11:53My bad
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Fixed the italic, thanks Daniel.

James, yes, will update it with 2010 - in fact, will also add a GISS graph to the Climate Graphics page. One of these days :-)