2010-12-22 09:26:27Climate change - How can I be sure? (greenfyre aka Mike Kaulbars)
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Greenfyre is back and he has an interesting post in the "News Junkie Post":
"Climate change - How can I be sure?"

The article deals with how to decide who to trust when it comes to climate science information and Mike gives some neat examples, basically showing that the deniers are lying about something or other, so why trust them at all?

Quote:
"The point here is that the Deniers are lying. You don’t need to know any science at all to see that. You don’t need to know whether the science is correct or the explanations make any sense at all because the Denier claim is that they don’t even exist, and that is a lie."

Worth a read

Cheers
Baerbel

2010-12-22 23:24:54Interesting article
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
It has some good points. I would suggest it's main flaw is to assume there's one magic bullet to convince people of AGW. There is no one best method. There are a multitude of methods which are each effective with different audiences. So we need to be open minded about trying different methods. At SkS, we're in the business of rebuttals. But we need to try a range of techniques. Multiple-level rebuttals. Tweets. IPhone apps and firefox add-ons. The Guide, with educational diagrams a key feature.

Next year, I want to experiment with more ideas. A key idea is using scientists more. First with the quotes. But in a much bigger way, with the "climate scientists explain" series. If that becomes all I hope it can be, it will form the backbone of the website in 2011 and be a powerful tool for education and outreach.

Id like to research and experiment with different messaging and different writing styles. More of Rob Honeycutt's colorful style narratives. Combine solutions with science, as doom and gloom must always be accompanied by hope. We need to all read more literature on communication which is why I always post communication research here. I hope in 2011 to find a way to connect climate concerns to common concerns so I know how to effectively talk climate with family and friends without getting that glazed look.

I also want to develop the database of skeptic contradictions and have a top ten list of skeptic websites with the most contradictions. My hope is to make this a resource that other bloggers and possibly SkS authors can datamine for juicy examples of contradictions. This will expose the intellectual bankruptcy of the skeptic movement. If the resource is dipped into often by other bloggers, it can drive a strong, repetitive narrative that skeptics can't be trusted. Which is the message of the greenfyre article.

And my main goal for 2011, and my most ambitious plan, is to develop a rapid response network, that ties everything together. The rebuttals, the firefox add-on, the SkS authors, the scientists, all the registered users, the phone apps. A grand unified butt kicking network. More on this soon...

2010-12-23 00:16:38
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

I've been following greenfyre's blog for quite some time and am really happy that Mike Kaulbars is back after quite a prolonged time-out. He doesn't mince words, isn't afraid to call "skeptics" deniers and treats them as needed. I think that all of his posts are well written and some of them are outright hilarious - as are his comments in the comment-threads. He does have a different "tactic" to deal with "skeptics" and their "arguments" compared to SkS but he often links to SkS.

I also like his subtitle “My heart is moved by all I cannot save”.

Cheers
Baerbel