2011-08-19 15:56:33Crowd sourcing the Climate Misinformers resource
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

A few people have emailed volunteering to help with the climate misinformers resource. As I'm reluctant to grant strangers access to our admin system, I'm going to start work on something I've long dreamed of - crowd sourcing the skeptic database. Basically, I'll start simple with two or three web forms:

1. Add Skeptic (Name, Country, Type, maybe Photo)
  2. Add Quote (Quote, Source, Date, Skeptic)
  3. Add Link (URL, Title, Bias, Skeptic, Myths)

I'll have it so any SkS user can access it but only show it to those initial volunteers and SkSers at first - as beta-testers. It'll be set up so ordinary users' submissions go into a "sand box" for approval by moderators. We can also "green light" users so their submissions bypass the sand box. I'll also create a "report page" showing all the skeptics and what we've submitted for each one.

Am very keen to build up the quotes and deniers - as the comment suggestions in the blog post indicate, lots of potential in using this information to tell some interesting stories. Any thoughts before I start development?

2011-08-22 01:12:51like it
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
I'm very much in favor of setting it up such that volunteers can add skeptic info subject to our approval before it goes live, and also like that they can eventually earn the 'green light'. We'll just have to make sure SkSers are monitoring the added skeptic info so it doesn't languish while waiting too long for approval.
2011-08-22 11:56:53Will have a dashboard and moderators feature
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
A key to crowd sourcing is adequate reporting so people can see what's happening and review their own activity. So I plan to include this as a "dashboard" kind of feature. Also need to add a moderator feature, will probably set it up so any moderators can approve quotes and even make skeptics go live.

The big question - what do we call this feature? Ideas...

• Misinformer Watch
  • Climate Mythbusters
  • Myth Monitoring
Okay, sucky titles. The idea here is a system that helps the community keep an eye on climate misinformers and document their misinformation. I also like the idea of documenting their lies, make them accountable although this is a happy bi-product, not the main point of the resource. And it goes without saying, the more comprehensive the database, the more powerful it will be in cross-linking the data to tell interesting stories (think of it as a growing brain - every data point is an additional neuron and we use SQL to form neural pathways between each point, increasing the 'intelligence' of our brain).

But basically, this is a system that documents the activity of climate myth makers. How do you communicate that in a funky, energetic, cutting edge, web 2.0 kind of way?

2011-08-22 12:45:12
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I like Climate Mythbusters.  Everybody loves Mythbusters.

2011-08-22 23:42:20
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

"Mythbusters - Climate edition"

2011-08-23 11:23:28mythbusters
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Would like is possible if the title included an element of the crowd sourcing aspect. Eg:

Myth Trackers

Skeptic Scan

Myth Monitor

Skeptic Surveillance

Climate Patrol

Climate Hawk-eye :-)

2011-08-23 11:48:03
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Skeptic Surveillance sounds a bit underhanded. I like Climate Patrol and Myth Monitor.
2011-08-23 11:51:23Climate Myth Watchdogs
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Dana emailed "Climate Myth Watchdogs"

I like the term "Myth makers" but can't think of a way to fit it into a succinct title