2011-02-22 11:01:05Matt Ridley
Andy S

skucea@telus...

We may want to consider adding Matt Ridley to the climate skeptics hall of shame. He is the author of the Rational Optimist, which is mostly concerned with the "evolution of prosperity" combining his interests as a zoologist and as a libertarian banker ( See George Monbiot's take.) If I recall correctly the book isn't that bad on climate change compared to the miserable standards of the lukewarmers' usual fare but some of his blog posts are awful and he associates himself with the likes of WUWT and JoNova. See this exchange between David MacKay (currently the Chief Scientist for the UK Dept of Energy and Climate Change and the author of Without the Hot Air) and Ridley, where he trots out long debunked graphs and argument.

What I really don't get is that Ridley is, or was, one of the best science writers around. His book  The Red Queen made the unlikely case that we have sex mainly to thwart our parasites and his book Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters was superb, also.  I suppose it shows the power of ideology over rational thought.

2011-03-30 07:59:31
Andy S

skucea@telus...

I'm in the process of writing a three-part rebuttal of Matt Ridley. I've been in Europe for a few weeks dealing with family crises but I hope to be back home and contributing again yo SkSc in a few more weeks' time.