2012-02-18 03:33:14DenialGate - Infographic Illustrating the Heartland Denial Funding Machine
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Post highlighting jg's graphic, hopefully with all the necessary caveats (if not, let me know).  I'd like to post this tonight, so get comments in on it.

• DenialGate - Infographic Illustrating the Heartland Denial Funding Machine
  • 2012-02-18 03:35:30
    Daniel Bailey
    Daniel Bailey
    yooper49855@hotmail...

Perhaps a linky to a larger, more hi-rez version?

2012-02-18 03:38:45
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

Can do on the hi-rez version. I'll upload one shortly. I also think I get too much credit. It's a team effort. Dana, you provided the data. The SKS team critiqued the content and imagery. Could we call it a team effort?

Cluck, cluck. (chicken sounds)

jg

2012-02-18 03:53:06
    dana1981
    Dana Nuccitelli
    dana1981@yahoo...

I can mention the team effort on the input if you'd like, but you did all the hard work, jg.  All I did was pull the numbers out of the reports and stick them in an Excel file - easy peasy.  My name is on the post - that's plenty of credit.

2012-02-18 04:04:54
    KR

k-ryan@comcast...

Looks good. I have to click through to the hi-rez (given my eyes) to really read it, but looks good.

2012-02-18 06:25:37
    Rob Painting
    Rob
    paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

JG - are you able to enlarge the embedded image?. Wording looks a trifle small. I imagine those with marginal eyesight will find it difficult to read. Looks good otherswise.

2012-02-18 06:26:44
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

I put the hi-res version here: heartland. I didn't want to show it on this thread, because it's 1024 wide. I tried to post it in the Graphics section too, but it doesn't show up.

Dana, I feel no lack of appreciation here. I was suggesting to be anonymous out of cowardice. It's also important to people to stand up to groups like Heartland as real people and not nameless entities. So, I'll stand with you on this.

A couple years ago, the Heartland Institute wrote this in my local paper. My reply at the time follows, showing that Heartland can argue that I have a vendetta or some need to get at them:

10:00 PM PDT on Monday, April 14, 2008

By MAUREEN MARTIN

Some sixth-graders at a school in Wildomar are learning about global warming by reading selected news articles.

They now know that all living things will be dead in 10 years -- including themselves -- if we don't fix the climate.

Not even the most fervent global-warming alarmist is likely to embrace this doomsday scenario. But that's what some of these students believe, according to letters they wrote to The Heartland Institute recently. The letters followed published reports about Heartland's sponsorship of the successful 2008 International Conference on Climate Change recently in New York City.

Twenty-five students collaborated in writing eight letters, in which they said they learned about global warming by reading 10 articles on the subject. They cited seven of the articles in their letters, often word for word, so the articles were easy to track down. Not one of the students' sources was about the science of global warming. And three of the seven articles didn't even mention the subject.

The students learned from one article, for example, that diesel emissions from automobiles are a result of global warming. The students wrote that these fumes could kill asthmatic children. In fact, diesel fumes are not the result of global warming and may not be the cause.

The students also learned that "air pollution" from global warming results in smaller fetuses. This is a "very bad," they wrote. But the cited study in fact eliminated any relationship between greenhouse gases and fetus size.

Next, they learned that 53 bird species may become extinct because of global warming. But the article blamed suburban sprawl and didn't mention warming. It urged the keeping of bird-killing cats indoors.

Several students reprimanded Heartland for its activities.

One letter said, "We are going to tell you about global warming. I don't care if you don't want to read, but I'm making you read it you horrible people." Another said, "I think your fools for denying G.W. you know it could kill us all & you're just adding to it. I want you to help stop G.W. not increase it."

And still another insisted, "We feel that it is wrong what you are doing. We know that you know that global warming is NOT we repeat NOT a myth, And we think it is selfish that you would take money over yours and your peers lives."

The tragedy of the students' fears -- and the obvious brainwashing going on -- is that it is totally unnecessary.

Heartland's climate-change conference was the first major international conference focusing on the widespread dissent in the scientific community over whether modern warming is primarily man-made and whether it is a crisis warranting drastic measures. More than 500 people attended, and 100 expert speakers and scientists delivered addresses or participated in panel discussions.

Sixth-graders in California are supposed to be learning about hard science in their science classes, according to state curriculum documents. California also encourages teaching students that scientific knowledge constantly evolves as more data and better technology lead to deeper understanding.

And they are supposed to learn that scientists never hide data and always welcome new information.

Not these students, though. "We've read article about global warming," one wrote. "And we know all the facts."

This teacher should be deeply ashamed for turning the classroom into a pep rally for particular political views.

If my children attended this school, I would be outraged.

Maureen Martin is an attorney and senior fellow for legal affairs at The Heartland Institute, a nonprofit think tank based in Chicago.

---------- my rebuttal ---------------

In regard to the April 14, 2008 Community Forum by MAUREEN MARTIN of the Heartland Institute, I accept her word only as far as she says that sixth-grade students in Wildomar may have erred in their understanding of the science of global warming. For the past 10 years I have been studying the subject in science journals like Nature, Science, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and I have trouble keeping the all concepts and details straight.

I am also not surprised that the Heartland Institute has time to bash local sixth graders, for the Heartland Institute is not engaged in scientific conversations in journals like those I've mentioned. In other words, they are not part of the credible scientific community. Their 2008 International Conference on Climate Change is one of the classic no-win situations where the lowest demoninator wins. It was a propaganda event where any scientist attending would be seen as an endorsement of a controversy on global warming, or any not attending, railed as proof there is an elitist conspiracy who won't debate. Most scientists ignored the conference and will continue to ignore the Heartland Institute as it does not produce science publishable by credible journals.

Most disturbing in my study was learning that there are organizations intent on misrepresenting the science.

Though science should be hands-on, available to all of us, in the case of many topics like physics, evolution, and climate change, we can't all smash our own atoms, unearth our own wristlike fishfins, and test our climate models against satellite measurements. At some point we have rely on experts and what is published. For us, scientific literacy is knowing who is credible and who is a propogandist, and in this our Wildomar sixth graders are off to a good start.

2012-02-18 06:44:50The diagram is missing the most important project: The one that might be illegal!
    nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

The budget proposes $610,000 (p.4) for Operation Angry Badger, which is intended to pay for activities concerning Wisconsin’s Act 10 and the recall elections for the Governor and some state legislators. Act 10 was the rather controversial bill that imposed strong limitations on collective bargaining for state employees. The HL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit: such organizations are forbidden to engage in campaign activities for elections for office. This seems, to me, to be skating pretty close: (Information below is not comprehensive and has been re-formatted)

"OPERATION ANGRY BADGER

A research and education project built to take advantage of the public interest in Wisconsin’s Act 10 generated by recall elections that could take place. Publications Dept. budget includes printing and mailing three reports and brochures."

Maybe it could be summarized as:

Operation Angry Badger

Wisconsin Act 10 / Recall Elections

$610,000

2012-02-18 07:18:34
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

Update. Text bumped up a little in size and Neal's suggestion added:

2012-02-18 07:19:19
    dana1981
    Dana Nuccitelli
    dana1981@yahoo...

While I understand the legal implications of Angry Badger, the graphic focuses on climate-related funding, which Badger is not.  Hence the title 'Denial Funding Machine'.  I don't object to adding it though - I'll update the version in the post as well.

I added in links to the hi-rez version.  Will post this in a few hours.  You got a hi-rez version of the update, jg?

2012-02-18 07:28:45
    nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Craig Loehle is down for $1500. Didn't he say he refused, or something like that?

2012-02-18 07:32:03
    Brian Purdue

bnpurdue@bigpond.net...

Thumbs up before post. Lots of alterations jg but got there.

2012-02-18 08:48:15
    Albatross
    Julian Brimelow
    stomatalaperture@gmail...

Neal,

"Craig Loehle is down for $1500. Didn't he say he refused, or something like that?"

Yes he did claim that, but he has to prove it.  If he turned it down it should no longer be in the budget...

With that said, that should be a caveat if it is not already.

2012-02-18 09:12:40
    nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

Maybe just add an asterisk in the graphic; and in the text of the article explain it.

2012-02-18 09:29:47
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

low res version with asterisk below. Hi res here.

2012-02-18 10:12:25
    Rob Painting
    Rob
    paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

The embedded version in the post still has not been rectified.

2012-02-18 10:17:10
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

I can't overwrite an existing graphic, at least not that I know of. Dana, you'll need to change the file name for both files.

jg

2012-02-18 10:37:51
    dana1981
    Dana Nuccitelli
    dana1981@yahoo...

Updating and going live now.

2012-02-18 10:43:55
    dana1981
    Dana Nuccitelli
    dana1981@yahoo...

Hang on, does anyone have a source for Loehle rejecting the money?  I can't find it.  He commented on WUWT but didn't say anything about it.

2012-02-18 14:51:02Urgent
    Tom Curtis

t.r.curtis@gmail...

Major corrections need to be made to the infographic as detailed here.  I am sorry I missed earlier opportunities to comment, mostly due to being asleep.

2012-02-19 02:48:01
    jg
    John Garrett
    garrjohn@gmail...

Update with fix to duplicate Altria donor.