2011-12-31 23:10:06Ancient ocean acidification and coral extinction (after some advice)
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

I've been working on the rebuttals for "corals survived during past periods of high CO2", however the material I've gathered together will make the advanced version far too long. Can't really address the myth without detailing the silicate-carbonate weathering cycle, calcite compensation depth, deep ocean mixing, ocean chemistry changes over deep time, actual make-up of various reef-builders through time, and the evolution of marine life which altered long-term carbon cycling.

Have to cover all these bases because the naive view is to look at coral today and extrapolate backwards in time, thinking that's the way coral always were - which is totally arse.

I was thinking of, rather than splitting it up into parts, creating sub-posts for the segments that require more detailed explanation and diagrams. That way I can also link to them in the intermediate and basic versions.

Does this sound like a good plan Stan? Or should I stick with the normal method of chopping it into parts? I think my idea is better, but then I would wouldn't I? Just after some input.  

2012-01-01 01:11:13
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Rob,

I concur with your proposal to create "sub-posts", or as I woiuld call them "modules" in a new SkS series, "Ocean Acidification Basics."

I also believe that SkS ought to create a parallel "Clamate Science Basics" series.

Both series could have their own nifty button IDs. 

2012-01-01 05:10:35
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

So how exactly would the sub-posts be different from multiple posts/parts?  Are you thinking of one main summary post with links to a whole bunch of sub-posts which would each contain more detail?

2012-01-01 08:48:03
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

John, yeah modules would be a better description. Dunno about OA basics. That sounds like a lot of work. How does one simply the chemistry? I try to exclude math & formulas so as not to turn off readers, but it's hard to avoid with some of the OA myths.

Dana, I was thinking that parts of the post would be summarised in a paragraph or so. Not every heading would represent a module, only the ones that required much further explanation for readers to 'get it.' That way one could read the post and it would have some flow. If they wanted to learn more detail, they'd open up the module.

Just trying to come up with a way of making the information easier to process. I think people get turned off multiple or long-winded posts, but I have no evidence to back up that intuition. 

2012-01-01 09:08:00
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Seems like a reasonable approach.