2011-11-04 09:45:17Sober up: world running out of time to keep planet from over-heating
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Click here to access the blog draft which currently consists of only the text of the oringinal article. I need someone with more technical expertise than I have to import the two photos and the graphic. Thanks. 

2011-11-04 10:50:46
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Imported the graphic and the two photos.

John, the upload procedure is fairly simple, once you get used to it:

1. Save the desired graphics/images to your computer hard drive
  2. Remember (this is the most important step) where you saved them!
  3. Using the Author Image Upload form, locate the graphics/images where you saved them & upload them one at a time (http://www.skepticalscience.com/admin_author.php?Action=UploadImageForm)
  4. When the upload form gives you each SkS URL, open the SkS URL in a new window (one per graphic/image)
  5. Open the post for editing
  6. Position your cursor within the text where you want the graphic/image to appear and then click on the icon in the WYSIWYG editor panel that looks like a small green maple tree (for any Canucks out there)
  7. On the General tab of the dialogue box that appears, paste the SkS URL that you generated for the first graphic/image you uploaded; then in the fields immediately below the URL field, paste any descriptive text that accompanies the graphic/image
  8. On the Appearance tab, in the Dimensions field, if your graphic/image is wider than 500 pixels enter 500.  The Alignment field can be played with to gain experience with the other placement options
  9. Click Insert when done with the dialogue box
  10. Click on the insert/edit link icon in the WYSIWYG editor panel (HINT: it looks like a section of chain links).
  11. In the dialogue box that appears, insert the URL in the Link URL field and then click Insert (this is mostly useful if you restricted your image size to 500 pixels; by performing this step you make the image clickable, with a click bring up the image in its larger resolution; skip this part if the image is in its native resolution)
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 as necessary for the other graphic/images you may have.

I'll write this up in a blog post format under the Authors section of the Forum when I get the chance.

2011-11-04 14:21:35Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Muchas gracias.

2011-11-04 14:31:03You're welcome
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Full user guide to adding images is here:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=3340&r=0

2011-11-05 01:38:32Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Is there a way to reduce the size of the two photos and wrap text around them? 

2011-11-05 02:17:18
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...
  1. When you are in the editing window, click on the image desired and then click the Insert/Edit Icon. 
  2. Click on the Appearance Tab of the Dialogue Box that appears.
  3. Click on the down arrow at the end of the Alignment Field, select how you want the image to be aligned (the text will then wrap around the image)
  4. In the Dimensions field, input a smaller desired width (the link to the original-sized image will be unaffected, so what you're doing here will be making the image in the article into a thumbnail).  Note that you only have to make the width smaller as the height will rescale to match the width change.
  5. Click the insert button to implement your changes.
  6. You may have to reposition & resize each image/graphic to get the satisfactory look you're striving for.  Kind of an art form.  To reposition a graphic, just click on it, and then cut&paste (either with the icons or using the Ctrl+X and then Ctrl+V shortcut keys)
2011-11-05 03:24:14Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Is there a way to insert the photo captions into a box and append it to the photo so that the photo and captions are alsways coupled?

2011-11-05 06:35:56In a word: No
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

If you follow Step 7 above, then when someone hovers their cursor over the image or graphic then that text input in Step 7 will appear.

Otherwise you have to manually caption each image/graphic.  Which, if you're wrapping text, makes it a PITA to properly caption anything.

2011-11-06 06:39:53Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

When you imported the two photos and the graphic what did you do with the captions? Right now, they appear to be part of the article text. Am i missing something?

2011-11-06 10:01:01
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

John, I just copy/pasted them into a blank line below their associated graphic and made them italic (and I pasted them into the appropriate line when entering the graphic, like I detailed in the instructions above; that way when the cursor hovers over them, the caption text then appears).  That's the standard SkS style. 

The way to work around that is to use a new screen-capture of the image/graphic from the original article with the captions composited in them.  You would still have to upload them to SkS, but the captions would then be there for you.  The drawback is that the captions wouldn't be legible if you thumbnail the images.

2011-11-06 10:20:29Daniel Bailey
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Now I understand waht you're talking about. I didn't relaize that a caption box would appear when hovering the cursor over the photo. The caption in the box is not, however, in italics.  

In this case, we have both the pop-up cation box and the caption in itlaics underneath the graphjic. Is the standard SkS style to have both? 

Alos, for the thrid graphic, the pop-up caption includes an option to enlarge the image. How did you code that feature into the box?

2011-11-06 10:41:02
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

In this case, we have both the pop-up cation box and the caption in itlaics underneath the graphjic. Is the standard SkS style to have both? 

Personal preference rules; convention is to have the caption below.

Alos, for the thrid graphic, the pop-up caption includes an option to enlarge the image. How did you code that feature into the box?

I believe I added that text into the descriptor line (Step 7 again)