2011-09-09 17:17:28Translation of article on denialist peer-reviewed papers
Captain Pithart
Peter Hartmann
captain.pithart@gmail...

hi guys,

i'm translating a German article by Jörg Zimmermann of Globales Klima (good but low-profile climate blog) for posting on SkS, and Jörg asked that somebody look over it that he got the facts straight, as he wrote it in a hurry. also suggestions for better english are welcome, as i'm not a native speaker:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clouds-over-peer-review.html

i'll add links during the day.

p.

2011-09-09 20:24:56now with links
Captain Pithart
Peter Hartmann
captain.pithart@gmail...

ok, from my side the post is good to go now, but i'd still like somebody to look over it.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clouds-over-peer-review.html

i have one question (search for "amended" in above article for context): the article mentions that Lindzen&Choi managed to publish an article in "Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences" that was originally slated to appear in Journal of Geophysical Research, but i'm not sure this is the paper Zimmermann is talking about (he's a bit hard to reach). does somebody know the details?

p.

2011-09-10 21:39:59
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

CP - perhaps a tad too emotive (scandal, denialist) for instance, and way too long for an SkS post. 

I think if someone unfamiliar with climate science were to read that, they would be none the wiser. Are you able to break it down into something more accessible to a lay audience?

2011-09-10 21:49:52
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

I think this is too "inside baseball" (focused on topics that will be known and appreciated only by those interested and knowledgable to very few).

2011-09-11 05:37:10
Captain Pithart
Peter Hartmann
captain.pithart@gmail...

the article is from another website, so the tone is different from SkS; i did tone it down a bit already, but i see your point, and although i like the rants on other climate blogs from time to time, i really like that SkS has this very calm, unemotional tenor, and think this is doing the community a great service. i pondered on how to translate "leugner" when i used it, and ended up with "denialists" as i cannot use the term skeptics, as it is a misnomer. i used "opponents to..." at the beginning, and tried to use denialists mostly for the non-scientist crowd that is doing just that, if possible not for people like lindzen & spencer that are a bit borderline (i had missed two instances in the first two paragraphs, rewrote them just now).

in this case, as i only translated it, i'd like it best if it was published more or less as is, with the facts roughly checked. otherwise this would probably take a considerable amount of time, with zimmermann being quite hard to reach and very busy at the moment.

my main point in suggesting the article as a guest post to SkS was that i think it deserves a wider audience. so if you think publishing it here would not be the best match, where else would you suggest i should ask? i was pondering Eli's blog, as he's taking guest authors recently, but haven't asked him yet, as john agreed on posting it.

or maybe there could be a way to publish it as is, and distill a simplified version from it later?

thanks a lot for your feedback!

p.

update: yes, the Lindzen&Choi JGR reference is wrong, it was published in Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences. corrected.