2011-08-28 06:36:30ClimateWorks Foundation report "The Costs of Delay"
olivermarchand

oliver.marchand@gmail...

The ClimateWorks Foundation has published an excellent report entitled "The Costs of Delay". It is worthwile to look at the document for two reasons:

• The information is well presented and follows some of the style ideas of Sks (i.e. simple graphisc, etc.).
  • It contains a final argument on the cost, which may be an argument that some people may be more open to listen to, which are otherwise not easy to get throuh to.

The 18 page document starts out by explaining some of the very basics of climate science mainly focussing on the stability of CO2 in the athmosphere and the carbon cycle. Chapters 3 and 4 mention the irreversible nature of most impacts of climate change and the danger of tipping points. No news for the typical "Skeptical Science" reader to this point.

But the last Chapter 5 offers some interesting "Stern Review" like estimates of the costs comparing mitigation versus adaption. It contains a very short argument focussing on solely the cost of replacing energy infrastructure, yielding one quarter GDP for that replacement. The argument now is obvious: starting to invest in 100% clean energy now will at least saveus a whole lot of money.

BTW: One thing I noticed was that unlike many other foundations (e.g. The Science & Public Policy Institute, The Heartland Institute), the ClimateWorks Foundation is very transparent its board, its staff and its funding agencies.

2011-08-29 06:57:53
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
So are you volunteering to write a post on this report, oliver? :-) If not, I can probably draft one up on Thursday. I have to take the day off anyway because our plumbing system is clogged, and I have to pack for vacation. But I should have time to write a post that day too, if nobody else has covered it.
2011-09-21 01:11:54
olivermarchand

oliver.marchand@gmail...

Hi dana1981,

OK, I volunteer. So how to I turn this into a post? A short note/pointer should be enough.

cheers,

Oliver

2011-09-21 01:50:42
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Oliver, I actually addressed this report in a previous post (which is why I didn't draft anything up).  Don't recall which one offhand, but we published it a while back.

2011-09-21 06:04:59
olivermarchand

oliver.marchand@gmail...

Okay, we'll leave it then. There is another intersting information source on NY-Times statistics on the development of beliefs about AGW views of american citizens. Might be even more interesting. Thanks for the feedback!