2011-07-01 16:11:27Anyone want to do a blog post about volcanic CO2?
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Someone emailed me this recent paper:

http://www.agu.org/pubs/pdf/2011EO240001.pdf

Made me reflect on how popular the "volcanoes wipe out years of CO2 reduction efforts" argument is lately, with a rash of volcanic eruptions. So I'd like to create 2 new strong infographics as reference for any who encounter this argument:

1. A visual comparison of volcanic CO2 to human CO2 similar to this Waste heat vs Greenhouse warming
  2. A high-rez redo of this old graphic but headline it with "What effect has volcanic eruptions had on CO2 levels in the past?" (allowing readers to see for themselves how little effect they have)

I could do this when I get the time (probably never) but it would get posted much quicker if someone else wants to write the blog post, I'll supply the graphics. It probably would reference that paper, perhaps reference other lines of evidence that eliminate volcanoes as the source of CO2 (eg - ratio of C12 to C14 eliminates volcanoes as a source as does decreasing oxygen). If you want to be cheeky, quote Ian Plimer's Heaven & Earth, pages 414,415 where he outlines the evidence in convincing detail (I excerpt these pages at Plimer vs Plimer).

We would probably look to replace the existing plain English rebuttal with this one too or at least revamp it.

2011-07-02 00:36:19John Cook
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Gerlach's paper was discussed in two recent General Chat blog posts:

Humans Dwarf Volcanoes for CO2 Emissions -- Discovery Channel

Argument 71 in need of an update? - here's some ammo

If no one else steps up to the plate on this one, I will take it on.

2011-07-02 02:27:57
Chris Colose

colose@wisc...

I could do it, but not until after the weekend...

2011-07-02 02:57:28
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

I would love to help with the info-graphic illustration part. Let me know if I can help.

jg

2011-07-02 03:00:41Chris Colose
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Sounds good to me!

2011-07-02 09:32:44Helping with infographics
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
jg, my first instinct when you offered to do the volcano infographic was to channel my inner control-freak and say "thanks but I want to do it". But then I remembered that my vision for the Climate Graphics resource was that it would be crowd sourced with a number of contributors (currently it's just me). So that would be brilliant if you could do it and could be the first step in opening up the Climate Graphics to multiple contributors and really flourishing (eg - wresting control from my white knuckled tight grip)

What I've been doing for all the infographics is creating them at 1024 x 768 pixels so climate communicators can insert them straight into their PPT presentations. And if possible, also offering a vector version in WMF and/or SVG format. How does that sound? If you're keen, I'll set it up so you can add pics straight to the Climate Graphics resource and also add instructions on the forum for others to follow suit.

For the volcano vs CO2 pic, was planning to have a volcano and a factory, both emitting "smoke" and have the relative area of each match the actual amount of CO2. in other words, the CO2 cloud should be around 100 times bigger than the volcano cloud. When conveying statistics, the numbers aren't important. What's important is to convey relationships. In this case, how small volcanic CO2 is compared to human CO2. The graphic also needs to work out of context - imagine someone using it in a PPT or embedding it in a blog post or even tweeting the pic.

2011-07-02 10:09:00infographics
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

John, Another way to say "inner control freak" is "why mess up a good thing" Your graphics have great simplicity and dedication to their purpose. You don't need someone to get all "art director" on you. I suspect it's fun and I would have trouble giving up the fun part.

I would love to help out in a collaborative manner and follow your lead, that is aim for simplicity (minimal adornment), clarity, and focus. On the other end of the illustration spectrum, I think illustration can help people make sense out of difficult concepts. The illustrations I produce for this extreme tend to be information-packed, more like a quick reference. I'll use either style where appropriate. Various file format present little problem (there's always some problem, but I expect that).

Tell me what I need to know to get started.

thanks,

jg

2011-07-02 11:25:37How to add climate graphics
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Okay, it's all set up. Note - this is rough and raw, I hope to develop this resource down the track so it's possible to add all manner of versions to a single graphic (eg - different file types and translations) and also subdivide them into categories. But one step at a time.

Probably first step is to post the graphic here for feedback from whoever is writing the blog post (Chris, right?)

I've added instructions on how to add graphics in the Welcome to the Authors Forum thread on the Authors forum. I'll reproduce them here (let me know if you have any questions):

5. Upload a graphic to the Climate Graphics resource

To upload a graphic to the Climate Graphics resource:

• Create a high resolution version JPG. The recommended size is 1024 x 768 pixels which is the ideal size for adding to Powerpoint presentations. The image *must* be a JPG.
  • In Author Admin, go to Graphics and click on Add Graphic.
  • Compulsory fields are Title and Image Large. Make sure your Image Large is 1024 x 768 pixels and in JPG format.
  • The system will automatically create a 500 and 180 pixel version for displaying on the webpage.
  • Enter text in the Description if you wish to add a caption to the Climate Graphics section. This is good for offering more explanation of the graphic such as links to data sources, peer-reviewed references, etc.
  • Set Display to Yes when you're ready for it to go live on the Climate Graphics.
2011-07-02 11:37:12
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

That's gonna be awesome! The major problem I have with writing blog posts is finding suitable graphics which aren't adorned with technobabble. 

2011-07-02 11:41:45Simple graphics
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

There are plenty of graphics online but invariably they're always too complicated for my liking. Hence I started making my own. I like graphics that are trimmed down to the barest minimum, that tell a vivid story (superfluous detail distracts from the story). The hockey stick tells a vivid story which is why deniers hate it so much.

So if SkSers want to build on the Climate Graphics resource, that very much fits in with our evolving SkS Mission Statement. Bloggers, if you want a specific graphic, ask and hopefully ye shall receive.

Also, another thought on the power of graphics in my response to jg on Getting to know Skeptical Science authors:

John, your ability to create illustrations means you can have a significant and lasting impact in climate communication. Think Robert Rohde who created Global Warming Art (he's now working on Richard Muller's BEST project). The SkS Climate Graphics appear all over the place - I've seen them in US Navy presentations & papers, in the NOAA State of the Climate Report, in Solar Physics and a number of climate communicator's powerpoint talks. So not only do you directly communicate messages to the public with illustrations, you also provide resources for other communicators to use.

After I did my physics degree, I went into graphic design and did a bit of cartooning as well, but now find myself drawn back to science. But the skills and experience I got from those years in the wilderness serve me well now. Don't feel you need to know everything either - there is a great deal of support here on the SkS forum - for increasing your understanding, coming up with ideas for graphics (no shortage of great ideas) and getting feedback on your graphics.

2011-07-02 12:17:46
Chris Colose

colose@wisc...

Whoever wants to make some nice graphs/graphics, feel free to do so.  I'll find a way to put them in somehow.  I haven't written anything so I can work around your ideas.

2011-07-02 14:09:25
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Hi John,

I tried to upload a graphic. Without releasing it, I can't tell if it's there. Here's what I posted:

volcanos vs human co2

2011-07-02 14:18:20
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
oooh that's purty
2011-07-02 15:57:44
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Brilliant mate! I like how you make the volcanic emissions a pathetic little puff.

2011-07-02 16:50:59
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Great graphic!

Is there a means to convey the on-and-off of - especially large - volcanic eruptions as opposed to the "steady stream" we put in the air day-in, day-out, year-in, year-out? Perhaps not just one small cloud above the volcano but two or three smaller ones? Or isn't that relevant at all?

And a general note: it would be neat if graphics containing text like the above, could also be made available without any text at all for internal use. Translators can then use the wordless version and easily add the translated texts without the need to either superimpose them or ask John for help. This works especially well for powerpoints or even simple graphic-editing tools like SnagIt.

2011-07-02 19:05:06On off
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Re on off, perhaps this pic shows it:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Two-attempts-to-blame-global-warming-on-volcanoes.html

But I wouldn't rcommend it with this graphic. There's a single core message - volcano CO2 is tiny compared to human CO2. which reminds me - is "anthropogenic" the best word for a mainstream audience?

Re translations, my plan with the climate graphics is to develop it in several phases:

1. Restructure the database so it's possible to add lots of different versions of the graphics (eg - PowerPoint, PDF, etc)
  2. Add language option so translators can upload translated versions directly to system
  3. Add categories
  4. Open it up to public so everyone can add graphics
2011-07-02 21:36:58Database setup for graphics
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

How about adding two fields for each graphic: type (eg. PPT, PDF...) and language (eg. EN, DE, ES...) where EN for Englisch would be the default? I would strongly suggest to make use of the ISO-country-codes for anything on the database-level pertaining to language.

2011-07-02 23:17:54
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

I struggled over the word choice. I thought "human emissions" would invite the denialists to confuse with exhaling and respiration. I tried "fossil fuel use" but that leaves out deforestation.

2011-07-03 00:01:51
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

jg,

Not to mention fart jokes (;-)

How about "human-caused" or "anthropogenic"?

2011-07-03 01:47:53Attention all graphic artists...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

you'll want to check out the Globaia website. It has produced some fantastic, cutting-edge graphics.

2011-07-03 10:54:40Title
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I was thinking of putting the core message in the heading of the graphic. Eg "Human CO2 emissions are at least 130 times greater than volcanic CO2 emissions". Drives home the message, visual and text sending an emphatic message

Or if that's not your cup of tea, simply "human co2 emissions vs volcanic CO2 emissions"

2011-07-03 12:25:07
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

John, I like the core message. I'll make the change.

... so I change the graphic, but I don't see how to edit or replace a graphic that is not displayed. Am I missing something?

2011-07-03 17:19:01To update the graphic...
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Go to Graphics, edit the graphic you want to update, click Browse then upload the new graphic.

Note - also added a Preview link to the Graphics page so you can check out your graphic before it goes live.

2011-07-05 00:25:39
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

Ok. I see the graphic on the list. Next step: How do I add SVG and WMF versions without overwriting the jpg?

jg