2011-06-28 21:34:36The Medieval Warm(ish) Period In Pictures
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Post is here. Typo corrections, grammatical bloopers, improvements welcomed (well maybe not welcomed, but necessary).

2011-06-29 00:43:57
jg
John Garrett
garrjohn@gmail...

First sentence: "todays warming" should be "today's warming"

This sentence: "The rest of the planet, notably the oceans, were cooler, and observe the cooler North American west coast, which is consistent with the glacier advance there during the MWP" -- Nothing really wrong with this sentence but I had to read it twice. In my first reading I thought the planet or oceans were the subject of the verb "observe".

Great post.

2011-06-29 09:14:03
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...
Rob, I definitely like this idea and it starts off well. This agreement is a subset of the "climate is always changing" one and is important clarify.

Some specific comments below (use or not):

The second paragraph is somewhat distracting (not related to the title, which is enticing). I'd move it to the end as a place to direct people for more information. Just jump right to the very convincing picture of how not-widespread the MWP was.

"Mann 2009  was an analysis" should be "Mann (2009) showed an analysis".

"The rest of the planet, notably the oceans, were cooler, and observe the cooler North American west coast, which is consistent with the glacier advance there during the MWP. ". Make this two sentences, it's allay your main point and shouldn't be shortchanged.

"The proxies seem to appear consistent" should be "The proxies are consistent" (consistent is enough of a qualifier, don't need two more).

I'd put more emphasize on the particular warming of Greenland during the MWP more, since that's always the place deniers focus on. Rather than just that the contrast today would be greater, could you use a temp anomaly map from recent years to compare to? That would help support the title, too.

The section "Modelling the MWP" needs an initial sentence to say where it's going. Without reading really carefully I can't tell if the point is understand what caused the MWP, to show that it was different from the current warming, or something else. In fact you might title this section "what caused the MWP" as the term modeling often confuses people.

I am not an expert on the MWP by any means, so use your knowledge to modify this suggestion. I think you need a bit like:

"The exact causes of the MWP have not been conclusively determined. The best theories suggest that it was caused by a temporary change in the global ocean/atmosphere circulation patterns, which lead to warmer water in the Western Pacific and cooler water in the east and center basin."

I like the "science marches on" heading. I'd include that as part of that progress, it was once thought that the MWP was a global phenomenon (is that true???) and know we know it wasn't.

I hope those help!

Best

Sarah

2011-06-29 11:32:09Looks good, my brother
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Like it (especially the last section header)

Notes:

• You have a Fig 1, 3 and 4, but no Fig 2 (is that da new math?)
  • Wanky characters in the labels for Fig 3 & 4 (I think you wanted the degree symbol ° but the editor imported something from Planet Nibiru
2011-06-30 00:30:44
Rob Painting
Rob

Yooper - thanks. Yeah had a few more global maps, but it got a bit cluttered and I forgot to re-number after removing them. Wanky characters?. Looks okay on my screen. Didn't know how to simplify the gobbledegook which accompanies the graphs. I snipped some of it, but it's still a hard read.

Sarah- thanks implemented many of your suggestions, and re-jigged it a bit. "What caused the MWP? - left that out because we still don't know. Thought of a temp anomaly map (NASA GISTEMP), but then I'd be focusing on one year (with great variabilty) versus the norm whereas the MWP covers a big stretch of time. Just considered it would be more of a hindrance than a help. As far as the MWP being global, not sure if this was ever a consensus view.

jg - cheers. 

2011-06-30 02:47:37thumb
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Looks good Rob, very interesting post.  I made a few minor edits.

2011-06-30 03:30:48Suggested tweak
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

The last sentence of the first paragraph reads:

Indeed, the advance of North American glaciers during the MWP indicate a rather different planetary response than warming today.

Suggested rewrite:

Indeed, the advance of North American glaciers during the MWP is in stark contrast to what is happening in North America today.

2011-06-30 06:46:01
Rob Painting
Rob

Badger - amended as suggested. Thks.

2011-06-30 14:57:36First Graph is a winner
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Rob

Good post. The first graph is great because it really conveys that it can be warm in one place and not in another.

2011-07-02 11:24:50
Sarah
Sarah Green
sarah@inlandsea...
Hi Rob, This looks good. It's a really complicated thing to explain concisely. you can get good global maps here: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/maps/ Pick an interval of multiple years, 2005-2010 works well. Or maybe just a link to here. I suggest modifying this paragraph: "Climate Models and the MWP Climate proxies are consistent with a large-scale change in the Earth's atmosphere and ocean circulations, but to understand whether they are truly representative of how we understand the ocean-atmosphere cycles to operate, we turn to climate models. Or to put it another way: do the proxies fit within the general framework of climate patterns we have observed and measured in recent times, or have they been misinterpreted?" To: What Climate Models can tell us about the MWP Climate proxies are consistent with a large-scale change in the Earth's atmosphere and ocean circulations during the MWP, but to explain the ocean-atmosphere processes that caused them we turn to climate models. Or to put it another way: can models based on the current well-understood climate system produce temperature patterns like the MWP? And, in the next paragraph change "elsewhere" to "in the MWP".
2011-07-02 16:29:09
Rob Painting
Rob

Thanks Sarah.  I'll leave out any other graphs it'll get too cluttered. Fixed that paragraph using some of your suggested re-wording. It that any clearer?

2011-07-02 16:31:53
Rob Painting
Rob

Thanks Glenn, I just pilfered the graphic from JC's earlier post. I think that global map and the North American glacier advance should be brought up every time a skeptic drags out the MWP or the Hockey stick memes.