2011-06-11 23:25:02SkS Weekly Digest -- 2nd Edition
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

A working draft of the 2nd Edition is now avaialable for review and comment, 

Please review and comment ASAP.

This document is scheduled be posted and distributed tomorrow (Sunday-US) morning.

John Cook: I need your help in completeing the "SkS in the news..." section and in inserting McKibben's You Tube vidoe into the "SkS spotlights..." section.

2011-06-11 23:40:12Some feedback
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Some quick notes:

Section "The week that was"

- The first bullet point is empty

Section "A look ahead"

- Here's a sneak preview of the articlews in the SkS pipeline
==>
Here's a sneak preview of the article s in the SkS pipeline

Section "SkS bites the bullet"

- Instead, you will receive a Daily Digest of the day's postings in a single email.
==> Instead, you will receive a Daily Digest of the day's postings in a single email.

Section "SkS spotlight"

- ...check out this Youm Tube video by Bill Mackibben:
==> ...check out this You Tube video by Bill McKibben:
(Note: I'm not sure, but I think YouTube is often spelled without a space inbetween. In addition, if this is the "don't link...with global warming" video, than it's not by Bill McKibben but was inspired by a recent op-ed he wrote.)

2011-06-12 00:18:01BaerbelW
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

You have an eagle eye. Thank you.

I'm a lousy typist and am not so good at spelling, Normally, Iwould have my wife do an edit before posting as a draft but she is out of town on this weekend.

BTW, the first bullet under the "Week that was" section is blank because I'm expecting one or more articles to be released today. Their titles will have to be inserted.

2011-06-12 01:00:17
Alex C

coultera@umich...

- Since you distinguish between author posts and guest posts in the introduction, perhaps a distinction within the list itself?  Such as "by so-and-so" for authors, and "guest post by so-and-so" for guests?

- Maybe it's just me, but Ari's name at the bottom of the list seems to be in black text, while the rest appear to be gray-ish.  In fact, the text color appears to be different in different sections - the intros to each section are black except for the last two, and the lists are gray.  Of course, this might be a result of the way my screen is displaying the text, but is there a way to look into that?

- Author names for in the pipeline posts, or no?

Looks good otherwise.

2011-06-12 01:03:53Two more
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

In the title you have SKS with a capital "K" in the middle, but "SkS" throughout the text. Incidentally, did we ever "officially" introduce "SkS" as an abbreviation for SkepticalScience or would this be a good point in time to do this?

Section "SkS spotlight"

- video based on a recent editorial by Bill McKibben:
==> video based on a recent editorial by Bill McKibben:

2011-06-12 01:32:55Another complication...
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Alex and BaerbelW: Thanks for keeping me honest.

I just relaized that all of the articles posted on SkS are date stamped in Aussie time. I've been writing in US (Eastern) time. To avoid confusiton, I'm going to do some more edits.

I'm also adding another section about the new Christy Crock button.

2011-06-12 02:01:45
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Title - the 'k' should be lower case

The week that was - just published Examining Dr. John Christy's Global Warming Skepticism (Dana) and later today will publish Forecast: Permanently Hotter summer in 20-60 years (oslo).

A look ahead - I agree with adding author names (MarkR, Steve Brown, Anne-Marie Blackburn, Mark Diesendorf and Dana, respectively).  Also add: The Planetary Greenhouse Engine...One more time (Chris Colose)

SkS bites the bullet - started yesterday, actually.  Though the first email hasn't gone out yet, that's when we ceased sending out individual emails.

SkS in the news - IEA CO2 Emissions Update 2010 - Bad News re-posted by The Conversation and TreeHugger, and quoted and linked by ABC Drum.  Emissions graph from the same article used by The Washington Post and ThinkProgress.

Tony Abbott denies climate change and advocates carbon tax in the same breath referenced in The Australian

SkS YouTube video of Tony Abbott featured on ABC Q&A (popular TV news program in Australia) as highlighted on the ABC website, MSN News, and the Sydney Morning Herald

Geologists and climate change denial re-posted by ABC Environment

2011-06-12 02:46:09Details details details...
Alex C

coultera@umich...

"Christy Crocks" is the name of the series, so I would suggest a pluralization in your second title.  Also, back to the text color, it does seem as though there is a very minor difference - I copied the text into a Word document, and while it recognizes the darker text as being standard black, the grayer text is not of a color in the preset palette.

BaerbelW: Not officially I think, but it has become a pretty standard and recognizable short-hand, so I don't think an "official" introduction is really necessary.  Well, at least not in directly mentioning it - this series of Weekly/Daily Digests could be a good way to phase it into use.

I personally wonder about the use of the phrase "bite the bullet" here, as if implying that the Daily Digest is something we don't want to do.

2011-06-12 03:28:35Alex C
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I discovered why some of the text appeared in gray. It was text that I had cut & pasted from another page in SkS. I have subsequently changed the font color for these items to black.

I dealt with the SkS issue in the first section by inserting it in parenthesis after the words Skeptical Science.

I'm changing the "bite the bullet" title.

2011-06-12 04:09:42Dana
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I've made the changes that you have suggested. Can you insert the Christy Crocks button and the YouTube video?

I'll insert the link to Oslo's "Forecast: Permanently Hotter summer in 20-60 years" as soon as it is posted.

2011-06-12 05:16:00
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

All set.

2011-06-12 05:36:53Hooray!
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

We've got a nice product!

2011-06-12 05:37:06
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Looks great Badger. 

2011-06-12 07:34:05Typos
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Section "SkS goes to daily digest"

- ....each time a new article is posted.....
==> each time a new article is posted.

Section "SkS in the News"

- ....to one or more of these articles and post a comment or two.
==> to one or more of these articles and post a comment or two.

Section Christy Crocks series gets a Button
==> the "a" is missing

I could have quickly changed these, but the editor-box went all weird on me so I backed out again (the edit-box overlapped with the right margin and I couldn't properly scroll down in the text - I get the same thing in the translation admin, but don't know how widespread a problem that is).

2011-06-12 08:07:23BaerbelW
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

Thanks. I'll make the corrections.