2011-06-09 17:59:42Scientific Consensus on a T-shirt
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Will launch the consensus t-shirts sometime over the next few days.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Climate-Consensus-on-a-T-shirt.html

Any thoughts before I launch? I've been continually tweaking the design, Wendy made some suggestions today, hopefully they're as good as they'll get for now.

2011-06-09 20:07:19
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

I like the 2nd version - loud and proud. With the first one you'd have to be standing in close proximity to be able to read it, and if it's on a rather buxom woman............a tick for both then?

I've been thinking about the media thing, and it appears to me that there is a whole lotta real estate out there for spreading the message about global warming. You know how every election, signs pop up everywhere urging you to vote this this party or that: imagine if the same sort of thing happened with messages about global warming (the link with extreme weather would be a goodie). That sure would piss off "The Stupidest People in History" and start to pierce the public consciousness.

Sure, Rupert Mudoch (Darth Australis) and his henchmen have successfully neutered the media, but he doesn't control the environment out there. Joe and Jane Public may be able to pick and choose which website they visit, and what they watch on TV, but not much they can do about a humungous sign, in their face, as they wait in traffic, or sit on the train.

2011-06-09 20:30:25Now you're getting it!
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
We are now at the stage where climate communication is half science, half art. We need to be experimenting with different messages, different techniques and different media. The idea of putting SkS infographics on a shirt never even occurred to me until someone posted a comment suggesting the idea. So now I think this idea needs to be extended - put messages on bumper stickers, caps, etc.

And merchandise is just one avenue. We still need to keep plugging away at mainstream media, social media, etc. When we release new features, we need to issue press releases. I have this vague concept of an idea of using our quote database - make deniers accountable for their words. This could involve compiling their history of quotes over time, publish that. Or when they do a speech, article, interview, document all the new quotes and release that somehow. And disseminate their myths in effective ways - blog posts, tweet, press release to all the media in their electorate (for politicians), etc. This could be a really powerful idea if properly crowd sourced. Might even be worth setting up a new website focused purely on this. Bt I'm run off my feet at the moment so this will only progress now if other people take this idea and develop it further (eg - like how Paul D's visualization developed).

But I digress. Any other thoughts about the shirt post?

2011-06-09 20:58:54
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Post is fine. Be interesting to see if any useful suggestions pop up. All humour aside, I prefer the 2nd T-shirt, but the 3 skeptics need to be a bit lower, so they're obvious below the wording, like the proverbial dog's bollocks. 

2011-06-10 04:03:49
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Just one comment on the post:

"Back when I posted an infographic on the scientific consensus on climate change, Skeptical Science reader veryred made the suggestion of putting the infographic on a T-shirt."

2011-06-10 10:09:47Updated
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Did Rob's change to the design and Dana's change to the text and also switched the designs around to make the better design (IMHO) more prominent. Will post in a few hours, after lunch. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh and also added in news about Americans' views on consensus - thanks to Dana for suggesting that too!

2011-06-10 13:36:21
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Glad to be of service!