Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Bit of a Christy Crock summary post:

Examining Dr. John Christy's Global Warming Skepticism

2011-06-06 06:22:38Christy is Crown Prince in the Climate Denial Spin Machine
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

You have completley ignored Christy's long-standing relationship with the Climate Denial Spin Machine. I suspect that he has financially profited from it. This relationsjhip should not be swept under the rug.

Take a gander at the profile of Christy contained in Greenpeace's ExxonSecrets Factsheets:

http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/personfactsheet.php?id=903

Also check out the SourceWatch profcle of Christy:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=John_Christy

Both of these profiles should be refeernced and linked to in your article.

2011-06-06 07:15:12Is this the post that will launch the CC resource?
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Makes sense as it's a good overview. If so, perhaps we should have a green box at the end, briefly describing the resource and mentioning the short URL: http://sks.to/christy

Re the Exxon/source watch fact sheets, there really isn't much there. No evidence of funding throughout his career - the only links are he wrote some articles for a few think tanks. But there are some old articles linked to that we could add to our list of Christy articles (hint, hint)

This is slightly off topic but I wonder if Christy has expressed politically conservative views. People often ask me "WHY are these scientists skeptical?" I'd guess Christy, Lindzen and Spencer are staunch Republicans but I don't know that, haven't checked.

Do you think this post could be adapted into a press release - something less technical, more dumbed down, that we could post on PRWeb and other press release sites?

Lastly, typo in last paragraph - additionally.

2011-06-06 07:24:34
Riccardo

riccardoreitano@tiscali...

As for Spencer I think it's more his religious than political views that matter:

"I came to the realization that intelligent design, as a theory of origins, is no more religious, and no less scientific, than evolutionism."

2011-06-06 08:41:08Think honoraiums and other perks
John Hartz
John Hartz
john.hartz@hotmail...

I suspect that Christy garners some nice honoraiums and travel expense perks when he speaks at events sponsored by the Climate Denial Spin Machine. How much do you suppose he gets paid by the WSJ for his columns?

PS -- Christy has a religious background as well--M.Div. Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, 1978

2011-06-06 14:37:24
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I agree with John, Christy has been careful not to take money from fossil fuel interests.  He's written some papers and given some talks for right-wing think tanks, but there's no evidence he received money for these.  I'm sure he wasn't paid to write the article for WSJ either.  Anyway, I want to keep the article as an attack on Christy's science, not Christy himself.  Even if he were paid by oil companies, what's important is that his arguments are scientifically wrong.

John - sure, it would make sense to launch the Christy page with this post instead of CC #6.  I could certainly simplify it into a press release.  Basically "Christy is one of the few climate scientist skeptics, we looked at the totality of his scientific arguments, and every single one is wrong".

Corrected the typo.

2011-06-06 18:24:51
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

The question of religion and / or funding is surely not appropriate to scientific refutation at SkS. 

However, for my own blog I am currently researching matters to do with extreme young-earth views and arguments about CO2.  If a person believes that oil is generated by geological processes and that coal is a relic of the Noachian Flood, then you will never persuade them through scientific argument that our continuing CO2 emissions pose a threat to humanity.  Their core argument is that people lived before the flood, so putting the CO2 back in the air will make the climate more like it was in the Garden of Eden.  Many of the most vociferous proponents of intelligent design are extreme young-earthers.  Unfortunately, some of these extreme young-earthers are prominent politicians or prominent climate change skeptics.

I have my own religious beliefs which do not impact my views and methods in science.  I have nothing against anyone else's beliefs as long as they do not hinder the prevention or amelioration of harm.  Unfortunately, there are very many extreme young-earthers in positions of power in politics and commerce.  They willfully obstruct action on climate change.  They can't be reached by scientific discourse.

2011-06-06 20:38:03
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Dana, the ocean acidification link is to a forum discussion. Would not JC's basic version of OA be better?, or do you think those pictures from Fabricius 2011 will have greater impact? Glad you mention it though, those 3 skeptic climatologists always neglect it in discussion of CO2 emissions.

That low climate sensitivity/large internal variability thing still doesn't compute for me though. It's on my list of topics to research, it bugs me.

Those first few links, Lindzen Illusions, Climate Myths from Politicians etc..............are awesome!!!!!!! Love how you weave all those skeptics threads together. Two thumbs up from me.

2011-06-07 02:07:48
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Thanks Rob :-)  Whoops yeah I meant to link to your acidification winners and losers post.  Have fixed the link now.  I also added a link to the acidification rebuttal - it's just that yours will be published soon before this one, so it seemed like an appropriate and up-to-date reference.  But it's a good idea to include both.

2011-06-07 02:22:15
Albatross
Julian Brimelow
stomatalaperture@gmail...

Looks good Dana.  I was thinking you should take a jab in the beginnning at McI (you know mineral prospectors/explorer), but then I saw everyone else that you linked to has been discussed at SkS.

I like the essay-- would like to think of a way of really hammering home the fact that, unlike the established theory of AGW, Lindzen and Christy's hypotheses and claims do not hold up to scientific scrutiny and/or the observations, and are not supported by the reputable literature that (unlike their work) has withstood the test of time.

Also need to maybe reinforce the observations that their goal seems to be to obfuscate, confuse and delay.  Hardly something scientists strive for, well good ones at least ;) Lindzen and Christy and Spencer is also seems have sadly allowed their personal and beliefs (religious and otherwise) to cloud their objectivity and their science.

2011-06-07 02:51:03
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Good point about established theory vs. failed hypotheses, Albatross.  I'll revise the conclusion to include something about that.

It's hard to walk that fine line to criticize them for obfuscation without going into their motivations too much.

2011-06-07 07:05:31
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

The other thumb.

2011-06-07 07:36:51Forgot the thumb
logicman

logicman_alf@yahoo.co...

Another good article, dana.

Here's my thumbsup.

Forgot it earlier.

I must learn to focus more i must learn to focus more i must ...

I must not give in to obsessive-compulsive disorder i must not give in to OCD i must not  ...

Seriously, I haven't posted for a while due to recognition that my depressive fits can lead to me writing total garbage - a bit like this comment, really! :-)

2011-06-07 08:35:17
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

No worries Dana, FWIW give it another green thumb

2011-06-07 08:38:26
Albatross
Julian Brimelow

Hi logicman,

Nice to have you back!  I see that the ice that you were expecting to melt out has finally done so, quite a while ago in fact; that the ice bridge is still being stubborn though.

2011-06-07 08:39:26
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Thanks guys.  I think this is about ready to go, pending the new Christy Crocks button at the top.