2011-05-24 21:07:58Amazon drought: A death spiral? (part 2:climate models)
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Post here. The purpose of the series is to cover the 'big picture' of Amazonian drought and the prospect of die-back. More educational than anything, because I don't think it's generally well known on climate blogs how serious an issue this may well be. 

2011-05-24 21:28:28
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

On my personal ranking of consequences, the AGW impact on biodiversity is hit #1; well above loss of coastal real estate.

2011-05-28 02:20:28
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Good post.  I went in and made a few minor edits - punctuation and such.  Thumbs-up.

2011-05-28 06:43:05
Rob Painting
Rob

Cheers.

2011-05-28 06:46:19
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

I also linked to your post in Critical Decade part 2 (which mentions the Amazon as a tipping point).  So we'll post yours before that one.  Sometime early to mid next week.

2011-05-28 07:09:05
Alex C

coultera@umich...

I don't think it's necessary to have multiple hyperlinks for the same paper.  Also, a couple of comma placement suggestions:

>>>A study published 11 years ago, Cox (2000), attracted...

>>>...higher soil respiration, are two mechanisms... [eliminate this comma]

>>>...greater warming in the east and central Pacific, than in the western Pacific... [eliminate this comma]

>>>Another notable finding of Cox (2008), is that reflective... [eliminate this comma]

>>>...during the 20th century, actually served to minimize... [eliminate this comma]

Also:

>>>and this decrease in evapotanspiration lowers ["evapotranspiration"]

>>>The bad news from this finding being; as reflective aerosol pollution falls in the northern hemisphere (due to air quality controls) this will provide an extra boost to warming of the tropical Atlantic. The upshot being a speed up of drying in the western Amazon.

[Suggested rewording:]

"The bad news from this finding is that as reflective aerosol pollution falls in the northern hemisphere (due to air quality controls), this will provide an extra boost to warming of the tropical Atlantic, an upshot that will speed up the drying in the western Amazon." [hopefully the rewording does justice to what you meant in the last part of the sentence]

>>>...which tends to slightly increase wet season rainfall, slightly decrease dry season rainfall, but produce a longer dry season.

to: "...which tends to slightly increase wet season rainfall and slightly decrease dry season rainfall, but produce a longer dry season."

>>>The central, and in particular southern amazon, aren't so fortunate, major die-back is expected there.

to: "The central, and in particular southern amazon, aren't so fortunate; major die-back is expected there."

>>>...indicate that the north-western part of the Amazon sees greater rainfall this century...

to: "...indicate that the north-western part of the Amazon will see greater rainfall this century..."

>>>El-Nino like

Typically when using a hyphenated connection like that, the last word only is hyphenated (you used a similar "El-nino-like" phrase earlier.)  "El Nino" is without a hyphen, so it ought to be "El Nino-like."  Whether you want to include the tilde (ñ) is up to you I suppose, I can never be bothered to myself.

>>>This arises from two features; the future...

to: "This arises from two features: the future..."

>>> These changes... [and] Further drying comes...

Keep the case consistent among the bullet points (all start with lowercase), and there's an extra space before "These changes..."

>>>Finally and importantly, it hardly needs reminding, but we are after all talking about approximations of the real world.

to: "Finally and importantly, while it hardly needs reminding, we are after all talking about approximations of the real world."

Aside from those changes, I like the article, and give it a thumbs up.

2011-05-28 07:52:03
Rob Painting
Rob

Fixed thanks Alex (think I got them all) . I've already started a few new drafts, but in future I'll use my word document and then transfer them across into the html editor. I find it hard to spot these bad habits when just writing directly into the html editor. Won't eliminate my grammatical errors, but should cut them down a bit. 

2011-05-28 10:58:36
Alex C

coultera@umich...

Looks good, a couple other things, one to correct the first comma suggestion I made - I think adding a comma, so that you have one before and after the first reference to Cox 2000, would be best; also, I just saw this:

"The spectre of Amazonian 'die-back' has lead to a number"

"lead" is the wrong one, the past tense of lead ("leed") is "led."

Again too, "decrease in evapotanspiration causes" --> "evapotRanspiration"

>>>The bad news from this finding is that as reflective aerosol pollution falls in the northern hemisphere (due to air quality controls,) this will provide an extra boost to warming of the tropical Atlantic. The upshot being a speed up of drying in the western Amazon.

[comma after the end parenthesis, and the last sentence is a fragment as is]

A suggestion for content as well, since you have graphics from each paper except the last, perhaps a picture from there as well?  Or would that be redundant with some of the other conclusions from the previous papers?

2011-05-28 15:00:44
Rob Painting
Rob

Ta, the feedback is muchly appeciated. I've got a shitload of topics I'd like to cover, so the faster and more accurate I get at this writing gig, the better. Got rid of the fragment, by the way, it seemed awkward.

Another graphic for the last study would provide balance, but thought I'd graphic'ed out the post as is. I'll have another look at the study and see if I can pluck  out something interesting.  

2011-05-29 02:52:01
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

The schedule's pretty crammed at the moment, so we won't be able to publish this until mid-late next week.  So you've got time to make those changes.

2011-05-29 07:09:54
Rob Painting
Rob

No worries mate, I'll leave as is. The graphs/maps in Vergara 2010 aren't that intuitive, although the study is quite in-depth.