2011-03-26 03:07:22Debunking Climate Myths from Politicians
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

We've started accumulating "skeptic" quotes from politicians and linking them to the associated rebuttal in our arguments database on the Climate Myths from Politicians page.  I've added quite a few for Inhofe and Palin, a few from Bachmann and Pawlenty, etc.  You can see the number of quotes for each politician here.  Note that for now, we're focusing on American politicans, and we'll expand internationally in the near future.

So here's the deal.  We want this to make a big splash and be a useful resource.  So John has drafted up a press release, and I've drafted up a blog post. 

Debunking Climate Myths from politicians blog post

Associated Press Release

If we can get enough good quotes from politicians by the time we launch the database with the blog post (next Thursday, March 31st), then John will issue the press release and we'll try to get as much publicity for the launch as possible.  But we can't make a big deal out of it if the database is weak, so we need help adding as many quotes as possible by Thursday.  I think we're going to launch it after the Congressional hearing with Muller and Christy, so that will be Thursday US time and Friday Aussie time.

John has made it easy for us.  He's provided an explanation regarding how to add politician quotes, and provided links to pages with loads of good quotes here.  We just need the manpower to add the quotes from those pages to the database (and feel free to find quotes on other pages too, of course).  The adding quotes explanation is also repeated on the Disinformation Deniers forum.  It also explains how to add politicians who aren't on the page yet. 

The process of adding quotes is very simple - basically just click the correct link, copy and paste the quote (don't add quotation marks), copy and paste the source URL, choose the politician from the pull-down bar, choose the associated argument/rebuttal from the pull-down bar, and put the date of the quote.

So if you have spare time this weekend or over the next week, please contribute so we can make this resource as kickass as possible and justify the press release (also if you have comments on the blog post or press release, post them here).  And if you add a bunch of quotes from a particular politician or one of the websites John linked, write a post here so that we're not duplicating efforts.  We probably have plenty for Palin and Inhofe already, for example, and we need to focus on the politicians with few or no quotes.

2011-03-26 05:16:43April fools
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Just wondering about the date and its implication (and this may not really be a global but more a German perspective):

Friday is April 1 which in Germany and other countries is "April fools' day" where quite a few press-releases are to be taken with a grain of salt. Is that day (at least in Australia if the release is planned for Friday morning there) suitable or doesn't it matter at all? Or, could there perhaps even be a tie in as the politicians in questions are good candidates for "April fools" anyway?

On another note: The quote of Joe Barton in the press release sounds grammatically off:
"There are just as many glaciers that
are growing that are shrinking.”

Shouldn't this be

"There are just as many glaciers that
are growing than are shrinking.”

Or, did he actually get it wrong? It just reads funny....

Cheers
Baerbel

nature.publishing.group@information.nature.com
2011-03-26 05:27:44April fools
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Interesting point, Baerbel.  Personally I don't put a lot of thought into April Fool's day.  I don't think posting this on that day will be a big deal, but we can see what others think.

You're correct about the Barton quote by the way.  That was a silly slip up, basically saying that the glaciers in question are simultaneously growing and shrinking.

2011-03-26 06:47:23the other end of the spectrum? . . . Rear Admiral Titley
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler
citizenschallenge7@gmail...

This sounds great, I can hardly wait.

Given the mentality of deniers and the things they weave together, I myself would stay away from that day.  Sounds like a set up for some bizarre blog titles.  I know it's just rediculous window dressing, but look at what we're up against.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On an OT matter, well just the opposite to these politicians.  I was going to post a new thread to ask, but this is convenient so l'll spare you folks a new thread by asking here.

~ ~ ~

Recently I've taken the time to watch a bunch of YouTube videos featuring the talks of USA Navy's Chief Oceanographer David Titley.

He was a long time serious skeptic regarding anthropogenic global warming. He has had a change of heart and has some thoughts to share.    This guy speaks very clearly and his opinion ought to carry some weight.  I've put up an incomplete list at my blogspot.

I was wondering if you folks can think of a way to present Rear Admiral Titley as a counter point to the sleazy politicians.  You know a career Naval officer's educated conclusions should carry weight with some folks who have a knee jerk reaction against scholarly scientists.

http://citizenschallenge.blogspot.com/2011/03/usa-navys-chief-oceanographer-david.html

2011-03-26 06:57:48bad Dana
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Holy crap, I found the mother lode for Dana Rohrabacher.  A 25-page speech on global warming he gave in Congress.  I think he used half the freaking myths in our database (looks like I just added 22 quotes from it - how's that for some Dana on Dana action?).

citizen - Titley's comments could make for a good blog post if you want to draft one up.

2011-03-26 07:01:11April 1 post
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I have an idea for an April Fools post too so we may want some space between that and this.
2011-03-26 07:09:49day
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Well we can do this either the day before or after.  I just thought the Congressional hearing would make a good trigger, but it doesn't really matter.

2011-03-26 07:26:37Thurs probably good
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
I'll let you know what I hear from Scott Mandia, if he agrees to help plug the launch and thinks Thurs morning is a good time (piggy backing on the news of the hearing), we'll go with that plan.
2011-03-26 08:00:02
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

Oh, oh, me and my big mouth.  I'm flattered (and intimidated) by the challenge.

As you folks know I'm a bit out in left field, so if anyone cares to offer some suggestions for how to approach the theme.

Just a little help with the framework.  Point me in the right direction and I'll try to come up with something acceptable.

Either here or citizenschallenge.pm@gmail.com

Peter

2011-03-26 08:17:32Feedback on the blog post
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Some initial comments on the blog post. Great stuff and I'll amend the press release to borrow some of your text. I would suggest rather than use the press release pic (which was intended for the forum, not the post), I'd either use all the thumbnails of the photos (eg - copy and paste direct from sks.to/climatemyths) or we pick a few highlight quotes from some of the more high profile GOPers and display them similar to what I did for the press release. Whichever you think would be more effective.

secondly, I'd suggest ending by promoting the URL sks.to/climatemyths so people will spread it around. That short URL is not set in stone either so I'm open to suggestions of a better short URL. Keep in mind that this page will expand over time to include politicians from other countries then other types of skeptics (scientists, inactivists, etc). So the URL needs to work both now with a focus on GOPers and down the track.

Dana, congrats on hitting the Dana motherlode. awesome stuff. But if this forum ever gets infiltrated, "Dana on Dana action" may be the next "hide the decline" :-)

2011-03-26 08:58:45Dana quotes
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Just read through all of Dana rohrabacher's quotes. Phew! So much misinformed crap from the one source - an elected official, no less. An embarrassment to the name Dana :-)

If anyone justifies this resource, he does.

2011-03-26 09:19:21CA Dana
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

And even worse, and embarrassment to Danas from California!

John, could you go in and edit the blog post to replace the press release pic and plug the short URL?  You're better with picture formatting (and short URL plugging) than me.

Is this particular URL going to be just for quotes, or are the politician quotes and scientist articles going to be collected on this same page?  If it's just quotes, the short URL should have the word "quotes".  But if it's both quotes and articles, then climatemyths is okay.  Maybe "prominentmyths" or "famousmyths" or something, since they're generally high profile people?

2011-03-26 09:44:38
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

How about Mythinformation?

2011-03-26 09:47:39Good news re promoting this resource
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Scott Mandia said he'd forward this to White House staffers and to his media contacts. So this resource should get lots of coverage. I'll try to get other bloggers covering it too.

Scott said Rohrbacher and Sensenbrenner are the key ones right now, so great you hit Dana overnight.

I've updated the blog post - I'm thinking we pick just the pithiest, most egregious quotes from the highest profile skeptics. I've just thrown in one Dana quote but we'll add more over the next few days.

Re the short URL, this is a tough one. I'm thinking this be just for the quotes. The articles/blog posts/etc is another thing entirely and that will concentrate only on the big kahunas that deserve extra effort. But note also that another project in development is quotes from climate scientists (boy, we have a lot of irons in the fire) so we'll need a short URL for that as well.

So if not climatemyths, then perhaps "skepticquotes" so the scientist quotes will have the url "scientistquotes"

2011-03-26 10:15:16Sensenbrenner
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Okay, I added 7 for Sensenbrenner.

2011-03-26 11:03:43
grypo

gryposaurus@gmail...

n/m

2011-03-26 16:13:48
Tenney Naumer

apaixonada.por.rio@gmail...

Lovely work guys!

John, what about "fauxskepticquotes" instead of "skepticquotes"?  Time to take back the English language!

2011-03-27 05:30:10
citizenschallenge
Peter Miesler

Mythinformation

2011-03-27 06:43:26congressional hearing
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Okay, I added in all the relevant quotes from the recent Congressional hearing.  I added a few more politicians in the process.  A coupule of the pictures weren't quite the right size though.  Will have to replace them with better ones.

2011-03-27 13:32:37Fauxskepticquotes
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Bit too lengthy. What about "denierquotes"? I know I've always avoided the d-word but when 'Climate Change Denial' comes out, that will all seem a bit moot. That or "skepticquotes", I think.

Dana, I'll fix those pics for you.

2011-03-27 14:56:55
Alex C

coultera@umich...

Isn't "squeptic" one of our brainchild words?  Or was it skeptiq?  sQuepticQuotes (QQs) or skeptiqquotes, perhaps.

2011-03-27 15:01:31Rebuttal links
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

The press release says the one-line rebuttals have links to detailed rebuttals. The links should be in the PDF if possible.

2011-03-27 21:36:46Ralph Hall
apsmith
Arthur Smith
arthurpsmith@gmail...

I've added a quote from Raph Hall, chair of the Science Committee that's holding the meeting this week. Will be looking at other science committee members next.

2011-03-28 02:06:07Thanks
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Thanks apsmith!
2011-03-28 12:36:34More skeptics added - image fixes needed!
apsmith
Arthur Smith
arthurpsmith@gmail...

Sorry I haven't been able to get the right image sizes for some of the US House Science committee members I've been adding - I do think I got Todd Akin right. But images should be fixed for:

Ralph Hall

Lamar Smith

Paul Broun

Thanks!

2011-03-28 14:01:06Fixed all the images
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Don't stress about the photos - you can even add the politician without a photo and I'll add it in later. The main thing is to get their name in there and add quotes.

Great work collecting all the quotes, everyone. The page is filling up nicely. Gotta say, some of the hair on those guys is insane!!

2011-03-30 03:35:53posting tomorrow
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

We're publishing the blog post in 2 days, so this is the last call for any comments, and the last chance to add politician quotes before they go live.

John - are we sticking with "skepticmyths" for the short URL?  Also, there are a couple UK politicians on there.  If we're going to keep them, I'll have to re-word the blog post.

2011-03-30 13:02:37Updated Press Release
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I've updated the Associated Press Release that I'll give to Scott Mandia to pass onto his media contacts. Feedback welcome. James, what does your mum think?

Note - this post will be going live around Wednesday night, USA time.

The short URL will be http://sks.to/skepticquotes

The UK politicians are now off that page - they're still in the database but I just set their status to 'No' so they don't appear on skepticquotes. Other countries will appear in later updates.

2011-03-30 15:40:49Feedback from Brad Johnson from American Progress
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Made a quick change based on feedback from Brad - changed the format of the affiliation from (R, TX) to (R-TX) which apparently is the standard nomenclature.

Brad also recommended http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/tag/deniers as a good source of denier quotes.

And I asked if he was interested in reposting his Al Gore/polar bear post as a MM guest post (the language would have to be SkSified though).

2011-03-30 22:13:26Mum approves
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

My mum says it reads well and looks really effective. She liked the layout of the examples. Her only comment was if the press release was going to the Australian media it should include Australian politicians - but I explained we were limiting it to the US for the moment.

Also, I noticed the links in the blog post are inconsistent – the link for Dana R goes to the “climatemyths” URL whereas the rest go to “skepticquotes”.

2011-03-31 02:17:23thanks
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Thanks James.  Dana R got put in there before we changed the short URL.  I've updated the link now.

2011-03-31 08:06:58Aussie media
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
No, this is only going to US media.

btw, the Aussie publisher of 'Climate Change Denial' sent out a press release about our book to Aussie media (I based the template of our release on it) and they also gave me their database of media contacts. Kaching! Very powerful resource for future reference. I'm thinking possible future outreach - repeat this whole process with Aussie pollies and I send a press release to Aussie media. Our book is likely to get a lot of media attention in Australia so I can piggy back of that attention in attracting media attention to the resource. Would love to sink my teeth into Nick Minchin, the Dick Cheney of Aussie politics.

2011-04-01 11:48:47Added a Democrat!
apsmith
Arthur Smith
arthurpsmith@gmail...

I added a Democrat - however, the quote I added doesn't seem to show up - click on "Collin Peterson" from the skepticquotes page and it says "There are no quotes yet for Collin Peterson." - but it's in the list of quotes. Bug??

2011-04-01 12:24:20Quotes only come up if we've published a rebuttal to the skeptic argument
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

What was the skeptic argument you linked to the quote?

2011-04-01 21:50:46fixed
apsmith
Arthur Smith
arthurpsmith@gmail...

Hmm, something about CO2 is good for plants. Maybe there isn't a one-liner? I changed it to "it's not bad" and now it shows up - what's the rules for which arguments show up on that page? They need to be on the main arguments page?

2011-04-01 23:25:48Plant food
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Believe it or not, we don't have a published rebuttal for "co2 is plant food" yet. There's a rebuttal in the works, it should get up there soon.
2011-04-02 03:15:41
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

They only show up if we have a rebuttal published for them.  But Dawei is getting close with 'CO2 is plant food'.  Like John said, it should be up pretty soon.