2011-03-03 10:30:24NEW PAPER: Extensive glaciers in northwest North America during Medieval Warm Period
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

New paper hot off the presses:

Extensive glaciers in northwest North America during Medieval time

The Medieval Warm Period is an interval of purportedly warm climate during the early part of the past millennium. The duration, areal extent, and even existence of the Medieval Warm Period have been debated; in some areas the climate of this interval appears to have been affected more by changes in precipitation than in temperature. Here, we provide new evidence showing that several glaciers in western North America advanced during Medieval time and that some glaciers achieved extents similar to those at the peak of the Little Ice Age, many hundred years later. The advances cannot be reconciled with a climate similar to that of the twentieth century, which has been argued to be an analog, and likely were the result of increased winter precipitation due to prolonged La Niña-like conditions that, in turn, may be linked to elevated solar activity. Changes in solar output may initiate a response in the tropical Pacific that directly impacts the El Niño/Southern Oscillation and associated North Pacific

I've been thinking, we need to do more 'educational' blog posts so it's not all rebutting skeptics. Eg - more expounding on peer-reviewed papers. This is a perfect example of a great post to blog about - I think it would have a real splash. Take-home message - "glaciers in the MWP" is clear, intuitive, no need to get bogged down in technical minutiae. So if someone wants to do this, please say so here (and post quickly to get the scoop). If you can't get hold of the paper, ask here and one of us will email it to you.

2011-03-03 11:37:27I'll take it
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

I'll take it if no one else has beaten me to it.  Do you have the full copy?

yooper49855@hotmail.com

I can get it out tomorrow (EST, US) if I get a copy tonight

2011-03-03 12:31:53Emailed
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Thanks Daniel. Just sent you the full paper. My recommendation - this is something we could get into either Treehugger and/or Guardian so I'd write it with those audiences in mind - have a wide reaching impact.

2011-03-03 12:34:29Thanks
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Gotcha.  Me understand Guardian audience - speak s-l-o-w-l-y with bite-sized words...  :)

2011-03-03 12:38:06
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

I've been thinking, we need to do more 'educational' blog posts so it's not all rebutting skeptics.

Snap!. Rebutting some of the bullshit is necessary, but I think we need to move past responding to every bit of garbage.

Nice paper. Be interesting to read your post Yooper.

2011-03-04 04:55:44
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Blog post available here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Icing_The_MWP.html

Please provide feedback here:  http://www.skepticalscience.com/thread.php?t=1067&r=0

Thanks!