2011-01-26 07:30:47Blog Post - Rescue Climate Data
MartinS

mstolpe@student.ethz...

Hi,

I am new here and I have written my first post: "Rescue Climate Data". It deals with the effort to digitize climate data and therewith imporve the climate record.

As I am not a native speaker, it would be great if someone could go through it. Other remarks are of course welcome too!

Also the font is quite strange, how can I change that? 

Here it is: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Rescue-Climate-Data.html

Cheers

Martin 

2011-01-26 08:39:10
MarkR
Mark Richardson
m.t.richardson2@gmail...

English:

"it is an enormously effort" -> "it is an enormous effort"   (adverbs often end with -ly whilst the adjectives from the same root don't)

"Digitize-button" -> "digitize button" (I wouldn't use the dash)

"sailed the oceans in the early last century." -> "sailed the oceans early last century" (no preposition and no article in this case!)

"Well, the whole is not terribly exciting, but if you ever feel like you have climate scientists to help a bit, there you have the opportunity!" -> this isn't clear to me! I think that hat you're saying is "if you ever feel like you want to help climate scientists, here you have the opportunity!" (i.e. you are helping the scientists, they are receiving the help. And I would use 'here' because it is here that the opportunity is being pointed out)

Also, I'm British so I would use the British English "digitise' rather than the American 'digitize'. :P

Nice project. Hope this helps :)

2011-01-26 08:42:09
MarkR
Mark Richardson
m.t.richardson2@gmail...

As for the font, there is a WYSIWYG interface above the box where you enter the text. There are two drop down boxes at the top, the one at the top right controls the font. I always leave it on 'Default'!

2011-01-26 09:08:19
MartinS

mstolpe@student.ethz...

Hey Mark,

thank you! I corrected my mistakes  (hopefully my english improves if I write more for Sks ;-)) and the font is now better.

Other comments?

2011-01-26 10:07:15
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
2011-01-26 10:11:56
Riccardo

riccardoreitano@tiscali...

It will be pretty boring, but I promise I'll try to help these projects.

They're real scientific projects, the post looks clear enough, I think it's ok to publish it.

2011-01-26 11:40:34More suggestions
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

1) "Via a post"

=> "Through a blog post"

2) "Both are important projects, because it is an enormous effort to typewrite all the data."

This is not a good explanation: Just because something is hard to do does not mean it is important. Maybe something like:

=> "Both are important projects, because they will make available for study historical climate data that have never been tapped before, from measurements that can never be repeated."

3) "To participate just click on the Digitize button and typewrite the digits (if you can read them ;-)). Currently two data sets are digitized by volunteers:"

=> "To participate, just click on the Digitize button and type out the digits (if you can read them ;-)). So far, two data sets have been digitized by volunteers:"

4) "Data from radiosondes is waiting to be digitized!"

=> "Data from radiosondes are waiting to be digitized!"

5) "The aim is to digitize the logs of ships sailed the oceans early last century. These logs include the location of the vessels, weather data (temperature, cloud cover etc.) and even emergencies on board."

=> "The aim is to digitize the logs of ships that sailed the oceans early in the last century. These logs document the locations, weather data (temperature, cloud cover, etc.), and even the emergencies on board."

6) "To avoid errors (sometimes you can only guess what is meant), in both projects each document is checked by several volunteers. Well, the whole is not terribly exciting, but if you ever feel like you want to help climate scientists, here you have the opportunity!"

=> "To avoid errors (sometimes you can only guess at what was intended), in both projects, each typed page is checked by several other volunteers. Well, the activity is not terribly exciting, but if you ever feel like you wanted to contribute to climate science, here's your chance!"

7) Globally: Whether you digitize or digitise, please do it consistently.

2011-01-26 23:29:08
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Here are some examples of old weather information from 18th century digitised from logbooks:

http://www.corral.org.uk/digitised-logbook-observations

However, these are not related to OldWeather in any way, I think.

2011-01-27 06:12:49
MartinS

mstolpe@student.ethz...

@ nealjking: Thank you for your comments! I dont know if "So far, two data sets have been digitized by volunteers:" is correct, because what I mean is that these two data sets are not finished yet but are under construction.

@ Ari Jokimäki: I added the link!

2011-01-27 07:17:37Looks good, Martin
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Let me know when you're ready and I'll go live with this.
2011-01-27 07:27:58
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

MartinS:

In that case, try:

"Currently two data sets are digitized by volunteers:" => "Currently, two data sets are being digitized by volunteers:"

2011-01-27 07:29:54
MartinS

mstolpe@student.ethz...

Hi John, that's fine by me!

Thanks for your help Neal!

2011-01-27 07:32:04
MartinS

mstolpe@student.ethz...

sorry double post