2011-01-10 01:54:52Northern hemisphere warming rates
muoncounter
Dan Friedman
dfriedman3@comcast...
I'm working on a post comparing the rates of warming over the last 50 years to those usually quoted.  We've seen Canada's higher warming rate (Ned's Twice as much Canada), I can show the same effect for most of Europe.  John, its posted for your review: Northern hemisphere warming rates.
2011-01-11 05:05:30good
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
An interesting post with some nice graphics.  It might be worth discussing why the land is warming faster than the oceans (thermal inertia).  It might also be good if there was a stronger take-home message at the end.  NH land is warming faster than oceans and SH.  So what?  Why should we care - what are the consequences?
2011-01-11 07:10:08
Rob Painting
Rob
paintingskeri@vodafone.co...

Think you need to remove the "denial site" reference - in keeping with Sks policy. I also agree with Dana, but I imagine your point is that it shoots a rather ginormous hole in the skeptic claim that the Northern Hemisphere is getting colder because of the last two cold winters in the UK.

I like it, but it's possibly teetering on the edge of not being that comprehensible (too technical) for the audience we want to reach. But then again, how many people comprehend Hfranzen's posts?.

2011-01-11 07:28:44Thanks for feedback
muoncounter
Dan Friedman
dfriedman3@comcast...

I fixed the 'denial site' reference, although I like the irony of using it against them.

Dana, I thought the take-home was clear:  warming is faster than we usually hear.  I didn't want to get into land vs. ocean in keeping with John's keep-it-simple advice.  I had other reasons for looking at Europe, but with a reference to the Canada post (way to go, Ned), this adds another continent to that faster warming picture (and gallopingcamel is trying to show NH cooling).

Rob, too technical how?  It's just linear fitting. I didn't talk about statistics for that reason.  Two-three times faster warming is a strong result.

2011-01-11 07:53:10Cool (not)
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Sounds good.  For the middle part of your 2nd graphic (the "low" latitude temps), I would consider rephrasing that to something like "equatorial" latitudes.  Some mightwill think you mean more south than south.

Like some denialist from Stockholm...

As for how it's pitched, I think you have the right of it.  K.I.S.S.

2011-01-11 13:18:34low latitudes
muoncounter
Dan Friedman
dfriedman3@comcast...
Yooper, that graph is straight from GISS.  I added a cite; can't do anything about the caption.  Stockholm 'Gus will have to put up with it (but he might deny that Sweden is part of Europe after this).