2010-08-14 00:27:42New blog post on satellite temperature nonsense
Ned

ned.flounders@yahoo...

OK, after some discussion with Doug B. I decided we needed to have some kind of quick response to the latest nonsense (occasional errors in one local product of temperature data for the US Great Lakes are NOT a sign of problems with global climate data!)

Despite being in the throes of trying to finish work and get out of town for vacation, I spent some time I didn't really have putting together this blog post.  It would of course be a good idea to reshape it into a rebuttal along with basic, advanced versions, but I won't have time to do that for at least the next ten days. If anyone wants to do so, feel free to go ahead in the meantime. 

Likewise, I'll try to keep up with comments in this thread, but after today it will be very hit-or-miss for me.  argh...

In the meantime, I see that Pete Ridley is up to his usual antics -- comments left and right complaining about bias in the site moderation, noting how his posts keep getting deleted, etc.   I expect him to raise a ruckus in the new thread, too.....

2010-08-14 17:14:41Thanks Ned
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Really happy that Ned wrote this blog post - it's always been my dream that we'd eventually get to the point where we'd have a team of authors and when a new skeptic argument reared its ugly head, one of us would just go right ahead and write a rebuttal and post it straight online. It removes the bottle neck of having to wait for me to write stuff and frankly, most of my time is taken these days with maintaining and coding the website. Which I'm happy to do, I love it and it's exciting stuff.

So while this forum was initially created for the rebuttals, I can see it also playing a vital part in authors discussing and collaborating on blog posts and new rebuttals. Of course, as Baerbel suggested, the forum will need to be broken up into sub-forums but we'll get to that in due time.

Again, thanks Ned, will get to converting this into an Intermediate rebuttal then one of us will write a basic version sometime. Have a great vacation!

2010-09-16 06:39:13Ned's blog post on Great Lakes satellite info
jimalakirti

jimalakirti@gmail...

Sorry. I "claimed" the basic version of this one since no one had done that. I will release my claim so as not to confuse the issue.

Perhaps folks who are intending to work on a rebuttal ought to go to the rebuttal list and "Claim" it so that no one else works one it, except perhaps to make suggestions to the "claimer".  

2010-10-16 06:50:05Satellite lifetime graphics
Peter Hogarth

peter.hogarth@geoacoustics...
Somewhere I've got an image graphically showing the expected and extended operational lifetimes of the recent low orbit NOAA satellites, this might be useful for some of the sillier skeptics making claims they single handedly got NOAA 16 removed (with lasers?) from operation due to their magificant public spirited on line campaign etc etc, you probably guess who I'm on about...