2011-12-24 16:44:31Adding likes.dislikes to blog posts and blog comments
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

For the last few weeks, have been thinking about adding like/dislike buttons to the blog posts and blog comments. I really only have one motivation for doing this - I want to measure the level of engagement with comments compared to blog posts. Eg - how many people read comment threads compared to the blog post and how does the readership drop off the further down the thread you get. Is there a significant drop off from blog post to comment #1? How quickly does it fall down the page and is there another significant drop off at comment #51 once the comments get to a second page?

Of course, there are lots of other benefits to such a system. It adds an extra level of interactivity. It may (can't say for sure but perhaps) encourage good behaviour knowing your comment will be rated by other ratings. If we have a scoring system - perhaps a top rating users page - that might encourage higher quality comments? I can only speculate. But all the other benefits are just gravy - specifically I want to measure readership at different points of the webpage and likes/dislikes serve as a good proxy.

So was thinking of doing something like this, with a like/dislike button at the bottom of the blog post and at the top of each comment:

(note: I borrowed buttons from commentarymagazine.com but will create my own buttons). My thinking is make the buttons available to both registered users and non-registered users. But track each like/dislike by both account (if registered) and IP address, so I can minimise the # of multiple likes from a single user.

So any comments/suggestions before I start coding? (note - I won't code this till January, go on holiday on Boxing Day until New Year's Eve).

2011-12-24 16:53:06
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Like Like...

2011-12-24 18:13:37
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Is there a risk that "denier-bots" will abuse the system and flood it with dislikes if non-registered users are allowed to (un)like?

2011-12-24 18:32:52
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Like it. Might give the lurkers some more reason to engage. Also might allows us to gauge what type of skeptic comments get more reaction

I imagine it could be done on needing to be logged in and then limited to one like per login.

Perhaps also an ad-hoc rule (or even one enforceable by programming) - no likes/dislikes from forum members. Lets see what the readership thinks

2011-12-26 18:40:15Risk of abuse
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Always a risk - would be interesting to try it and see what happens. I'm inclined to make it open to non-registered users initially just to see what happens (and collect more data).

2011-12-26 21:01:59Star-rating vs. thumbs-up/down
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Could it make sense to set up a rating system similar to the one Peter Sinclair has on his blog? Peter uses stars to rate the blog post (1 to 5) and then thumbs-up/down for the comments posted on it. Here is an example:

http://climatecrocks.com/2011/12/16/john-cook-master-de-bunker-from-down-under-at-agu/

I kind of like this kind of voting system as it - perhaps - gives a clearer picture of how well the post itself was rated, as opposed to how helpful a comment has been. Not sure if it would give you more or better data to "play with", however.

2012-01-04 01:39:10Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...

If it gets a 1 maybe we ask them why?