2011-02-14 12:46:43Blog posting about peer-reviewed papers
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I was just looking through the # of page views recent blog posts have received and noticed with interest that the most popular post of late was Andy's Amazon drought post. This reminded me of something I've been meaning to mention for a while - it's important that Skeptical Science is just as much (or more) about education as about rebutting skeptics. And one effective way to do this is to do relatively short, simple blog posts that focus on a single peer-reviewed paper.

This is something I like doing but just don't get the time to do these days. I'm always seeing new papers come out and think it would be great to blog about them. And I find writing blog posts about papers is one of the relatively easier blogs to write. It's still a challenge parsing the peer-reviewed content into short, simple plain English and throwing in a pic or two to break up the text and illustrate the concepts. But ultimately it's just a translation job, similar to converting Intermediate rebuttals into Basic rebuttals.

So can I encourage everyone to look out for papers to blog about. New papers or interesting old ones. If you see a paper that is worthy of blogging about, even if you don't want to write about it, start a new thread on the Blog Posts forum - suggesting someone might want to grab it. Then once the article is written, post it on the forum, we'll critique it here. Once it's good to go, look for the latest "Upcoming Blog Posts for Mon to Sunday" thread which will always be towards the top of the Blog Posts forum, and let me know to add the blog post to the upcoming schedule.

I would especially encourage authors who are not quite as active in writing rebuttals - there are a few here who take the lion share of writing rebuttals. This is the kind of activity that is ideal for training, developing your writing skills, in a safe constructive environment. We're all here because we want to make a difference, have an impact. Blogging on SkS has immediate impact - we have over 1200 email subscribers, 2000 Twitter followers, nearly 4000 Facebook followers and the website receives over 500,000 visits per month. But it's also good preparation for getting your material out onto the Guardian, Treehugger and Huff Post where you can have a huge impact reaching perhaps millions of readers.

2011-02-15 04:50:34Dai et al 2010 still coming
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Still working on Dai et al 2010; been a slower slog than I thought, as it is a review of the science to date.

2 more days, or less; I'll have something for others to chew on by then.