2011-01-20 14:07:42Spending more thought and effort on marketing
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Randy Olsen in his book 'Don't be such a scientist' laments how when science organisations publish results or reports, they spend more than 90% of the time/budget on the content and less than 10% on marketing. Consequently, noone ever hears about their results. I'm guilty of the same practice.

So one of my goals for 2011 is to be more "marketing" minded. It's not sufficient for us to just throw up our content onto the blog and wait for the public to come to us. We have to be as creative as possible in thinking of ways to further the impact and make more inroads to the general public. Ways to do this:

1. SkS is now part of the Guardian Environment Network. The editor subscribes to our RSS feed and says he checks the feed daily for articles to republish in the Guardian. There were a few he's considered but not published yet. So this is an exhortation to all of us - think of the Guardian when you write your posts. Obviously not all blog posts will be Guardian material. But if the article can be written in such a way that it works outside of an SkS context, and can be written without getting too technical, then write your article with that in mind. When you see feedback on the forum, mention this so feedback can take this into account. Then when you publish it, let me know and I'll email the editor, to bring it to his attention. Getting into the Guardian gets your content in front of many eyeballs, many of whom don't visit climate blogs.
    Two examples of upcoming posts I'd like to get into the Guardian. I was planning to add the 'Human Fingerprints' graphic to the Climate Graphics page and then blog announce it. But instead, I'll use the graphic as a more general commentary on evidence, etc, and hope to get that into the Guardian. A good way to promote evidence, SkS and the Guide all in the one go.
    Also, when we launch the Monckton Myths summary page, I was thinking of perhaps writing a commentary about Monckton and using it to promote our Monckton Myths.
  2. Combine our efforts with other efforts to further the impact. When Peter Gleick wrote his Top 5 Climate B.S. of 2010 article, it got published in Huff Post but bloggers all over published it at the same time in a coordinated effort. The article consequently got lots of coverage. So if we have something important to say, we need to coordinate it with others. For example:
    * Rob is coordinating with Peter Sinclair so Rob's blog post will mirror Peter's Crock of the Week video. I'm hoping to make this an ongoing arrangement with future crocks and possibly even involve some audio podcasts in this arrangement to take it even further.
    * When I launch the Monckton Myths page, I'll try to get all the other climate bloggers to mention it too, get the page to go viral.
  3. Following on from this, we should all be looking for ways to write material in the mainstream media. Eg - opeds for local newspapers. Huff Post. For Australians, the ABC website. The Guardian, of course. And always be on the lookout for other outlets where opportunities may arise.
I haven't given marketing and outreach that much thought but it needs to be something we should all think about and be on the lookout for opportunities. Any ideas you have, post them here - this thread can be a clearinghouse for possible ideas.
2011-01-21 06:34:32good ideas
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
It's a good point that getting people to actually read the material is critical.  I'm not good at marketing though :-)  Generally speaking if we have an important post (like Monckton Myths), I'd suggest getting in touch with some other climate bloggers (CP, Deltoid, ClimateSight, Climate Shifts, Only in it for the Gold, etc.).  I'm sure a lot of them would be happy to spread the word.
2011-01-31 11:47:29For marketing, the messsage "9 out of 10 [domain experts] recommend [resource]" can't be beat
ahaynes

annahaynes_nc@yahoo...

I've said this before, but the more recommendations from domain experts (& groups thereof) that SS can garner, the better.  Otherwise people will trust their weatherman's climate communication instead.