2011-01-07 17:51:15Sleazy smear from Lubos Motl
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Dana happened up a head scratching question on Yahoo Answers today:

Does John Cook of skepticalscience.com run this website...?

http://www.wecanknow.com/

The website is a bizarre, cultish end-times website predicting the end of the world later this year. The question baffled all of us until I came upon this blog post by Lubos Motl:

Republican AGW crusader Kerry Emanuel

The blog post reviews an LA Times article about conservatives and Christians who also are convinced of AGW. As a Christian, I'm mentioned. Lubos Motl says this about me:

The Los Angeles Times also mention John Cook of the Skeptical Science - who is a moderate evangelical Christian and a hysterical AGW crusader - and a Barry Bickmore who is a Mormon alarmist.

Go to the John Cook's soulmates' website to learn that Christ will arrive on May 21st and God will destroy the world on October 21st, at 8 a.m.

So that explains the Yahoo question. Pretty low and sleazy smear tactics by Lubos. I'd send him an email expressing my disappointment but have lost the email (we corresponded back when the Our Climate iPhone app came out and also when he published that blog post purporting to critique every single SkS rebuttal).

2011-01-07 17:59:53Hell with it, just posted a comment on his blog
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Would be surprised if it got through moderation but couldn't help myself. I find Lubos' behaviour quite annoying.
2011-01-07 19:01:55Motl has responded
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...
John, I notice Lubos Motl has responded to your comment claiming that the instrumental temperature record shows climate sensitivity is only 1.5 deg C.
2011-01-08 04:03:39idiotic
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Really reprehensible behavior from Motl.  His justification is:

"Dear John, well, be sure that it's because I haven't noticed a substantial difference yet. In the latest entry on your blog...you call me and my soulmates "zombie" so I suppose you will agree that I am about 100 times more friendly than you are."

He's clearly referring to Keith's post 'Graphs from Zombie Wars', but the post doesn't mention Motl or his "soulmates".  Unless Motl is the unspecified "adversary" Keith references in the post.

Motl's comment about 1.5°C sensitivity if you plot CO2 as a log is wrong.  Not that I've done it, but as I mentioned in the comments to Keith's post, climate sensitivity is an equilibrium value, and the planet is not in equilibrium.  There is still 'warming in the pipeline' from the CO2 we've already emitted, so if you want an accurate estimate of sensitivity, you have to account for that.  But of course Motl only wants to include the factors which will decrease the sensitivity calculation.  He seems like a real gem.  Aside from his smearing of John, the rest of his post was absolutely horrendous too.

2011-01-08 07:57:57
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

- There is a reason that Motl was dismissed early from his position as a junior professor in physics at Harvard. Too little research and too much blogging - and too much of the blogging bashing people with points of view different than his.

- wrt bashing Christians: He made excuses for one of the more skeptical climatologist (Christy at Huntsville? or his partner) who included creationist views in his book on why global warming is not a problem. I guess all "intellectual sins" can be forgiven if you're anti-AGW - and if Motl is God.

2011-01-08 15:09:53Steve Goddard joins the fray
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Ignorant Conservatives vs John Cook The Evangelical Christian

Not sure why he's focusing on me when the focus of the LA Times article is Kerry Emmanuel. Oh well, whatever makes Steve happy.

I'm finding it easier to resist the urge to respond to his link baiting these days. Guess it's like traffic noise in the background, soon you barely notice it.

2011-01-08 16:16:08it's a compliment
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Well John, you're more of a threat to deniers than Kerry Emmanuel.  Congrats!
2011-01-08 18:08:48
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
It's a sign of success. If you can figure out how to re-use the buckshot...