2011-01-05 10:42:37Support for The Scientific Guide to Global Warming Skepticism
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Nice email from the Alliance of Climate Education (Scott Mandia emailed them the Guide to Global Warming Skepticism):

We at ACE would like to post your resource on our Teacher Resources section of our website and write about it in our next teacher newsletter. 

We have presented to approximately 3,000 teachers nationwide, and have approximately 10,000 teachers on our radar for outreach.

Matthew Lappé | Program Officer
Alliance for Climate Education
www.acespace.org

Note: I will continue to add other organisations to this thread as a way of keeping track of which organisations have taken up the guide. At some point, I will post the list on the website as a way of encouraging other organisations to take up the Guide.

2011-01-05 15:04:41A good start
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

Sweet!

Kinda like the old saw about: 

Q.  "What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?"

A.  "A good start!"

2011-01-07 11:04:54Draft press release from the Suffolk County Community College
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENTS CREDITED WITH CONTRIBUTING TO THE GUIDE TO GLOBAL WARMING SKEPTICISM

Selden, NY –  Suffolk County Community College Students in Professor Scott Mandia’s MET101 class have been acknowledged for their contributions to the Guide to Global Warming Skepticism, published by John Cook and  Skeptical Science. This document was recently released to the public and features the human fingerprints of global warming along with rebuttals of some of the more common skeptical arguments.  The guide is well-illustrated and the text is written in an easy-to-read format.  The names of the scientists that contributed to this document include top climate scientists in the field.   The goal of the document is to further educate the public about global warming.

Professor Mandia is an expert on global warming, (insert more bio info here). 

“SCCC students were instrumental in crafting this document.  The students were asked to review the guide an extra credit project and 23 students took advantage of this opportunity.  Many, if not all, of their comments were incorporated into the final version.” Professor Mandia noted.

The Guide will be distributed to hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.  More information including a download link can be found at Skeptical Science including a Support Forum for questions related to the Guide. To access the guide visit http://www.skepticalscience.com/The-Scientific-Guide-to-Global-Warming-Skepticism.html.  To access the support forum visit http://www.skepticalscience.com/topic.php?t=14.

About Suffolk County Community College

Suffolk County Community College (SCCC) is the largest community college in the State University of New York (SUNY) system, enrolling approximately 25,000 students at its three campuses in Selden, Brentwood and Riverhead. SCCC offers the Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees, as well as a variety of certificate programs. Offering the lowest college tuition on Long Island, a highly respected Honors program, extensive extracurricular activities, championship athletic teams, and numerous unified transfer programs, SCCC is a first-choice college for Long Island students. Visit us online at www.sunysuffolk.edu.

2011-01-07 11:07:02Klimahaus Bremerhaven - German museum
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

8 Dec 2010 Email from Michael Theusner

I am member of the science division of a big exhibition on the world's climate and climate change (Klimahaus Bremerhaven). We opened last year in late June and we already had more than 1.2 million visitors. Our aim is to make people aware of climate change and tell them what they can do personally to reduce their carbon footprint.

I already distributed your guide to our tour guides. My vision would be to provide it for our visitors as well, if my bosses agree and you, too.
2011-01-07 11:08:42Aquariums and Climate
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

7 Jan 2011 Email from Scott MacKenzie

I manage a website (http://www.aquariumsandclimate.com/) focused on helping informal educators at aquariums, zoos, and science research centers communicate climate change to their guests and colleagues. I would like to post your "The Scientific Guide to Global Warming Skepticism" on the site, and use the report's front cover as an image. Would you be willing to grant me permission to do so?
2011-01-07 12:30:11Association for Science Teacher Education
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Scott Mandia emailed the ASTE, got this response:

Thanks so much for sharing this with me.  This is an excellent publication.

I'll be sure to share this with others. We have an active EE forum at ASTE (Association for Science Teacher Education) who will be quite interested in reading your publication and sharing it with other educators.
2011-01-07 17:06:19nice
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Wow, nice to see such popularity for the Guide!
2011-01-29 05:28:23
ahaynes

annahaynes_nc@yahoo...
2011-01-29 05:28:32You *need* to post these endorsements, in a place where visitors will notice them.
ahaynes

annahaynes_nc@yahoo...

The #1 problem for the public is that they don't know who's honest & competent, & who's pulling the wool over their eyes.  IMO this cuts the effectiveness of any climate communication (that doesn't give the user info to address this) by about 90%.

Please solicit and add endorsements, prominently, so anyone clicking on the "guide" link from your homepage will notice them.  Also add them to the book, if they're not in there.

2011-01-29 05:31:56Also, how best to order multiple copies, cheaply?
ahaynes

annahaynes_nc@yahoo...

Guidelines on how to go about getting copies in bulk would be helpful.

2011-01-29 05:45:18
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

John,

I assume you pointed out to Hr. Theusner that a German-language version would be coming out soon?

2011-01-29 08:12:29Michael Theusner
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Hi Neal,

actually Michael Theusner knows about the German translation of the guide as he and I collaborated on the translation (and Oliver Marchand helped with the proofreading). Michael had contacted John about translating the guide, so John put the two of us in contact. Last weekend I sent the German translation to John but at the moment the Monckton Myth-series obviously has a much higher priority on John's long to-do-list than creating the German version of the guide.

Cheers
Baerbel

2011-01-29 16:59:58German version
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
You didn't get the German guide? I sent it to you a few days ago but have been having email problems. Will resend!
2011-01-29 19:48:25not yet
BaerbelW

baerbel-for-350@email...

Hi John,

no, I didn't get the German version yet. I did however get some other emails from you during the last week.

Cheers
Baerbel

2011-02-11 10:56:09Transition Towns
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

http://parksjtad.transitiontowns.nl/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/TTP_header_logo2.png

http://parksjtad.transitiontowns.nl

We are a small local Transition Towns group in the south of Netherland. Our aim is to build up a community-led response to the pressures of climate change, fossil fuel depletion and increasingly, economic contraction. We organize information evenings with a powerpoint presentation, film or a special topic like car-sharing. Further on excursions about eatable and medical wild plants and mushrooms. Once a month we have a repair café and we stimulate a LETSystem in our area as well as city- gardening. We standing on evenings, festivals and manifestations with information material and coöperative games. Of course we wish more to do but for that we need more people.

2011-02-18 12:59:46Scott Mandia's Global Warming: Man or Myth
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Global Warming: Man or Myth?

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/global_warming/

Of course, Scott was the one who first suggested the idea of doing the Guide and promotes it at every opportunity (a great ally to have).

2011-03-17 09:12:59Suffolk County Community College seem to have released that press release
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

http://www.sunysuffolk.edu/Documents/PressReleases/science%20students_2.pdf

Just checking with Scott then thought I'd blog about this, a nice chance to plug the Guide.