2010-12-23 12:27:14Some fun graphs about comment activity on SkS
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I'm working with some cognitive scientists on climate communication on blogs and for part of their research, they asked for some basic stats on comment activity on SkS. So I generated some interesting graphs which I thought I'd share here. Some surprises, I feel.

Over the years, I've been "categorising" users as either skeptic or warmist based on their comments. So this first graph shows the # of comments per blog post, sorted by bias. Eg - how many skeptic comments vs how many warmist comments. What I find surprising is skeptic comments is not as small as I thought it would be - only around 20% of users are skeptics and yet the # of skeptic comments is not too shabby.

Whenever a comment gets deleted, the moderator specifies whether the comment was skeptic, warmist or neutral. Here is the # of deleted comments per blog post, sorted by bias. Again a surprising result. More skeptic comments get deleted but not that much more - plenty of warmist comments get deleted too.

Lastly, for some reason, the cognitive boffins wanted to know the arrival time of comments. Eg - how long after a blog is posted before the comment is posted. I thought the most comments would be posted within the first hour after blogging but it actually peaks around the 3 hour mark.

I may throw the 'deleted comments' graph up in a blog post sometime, give the readers something to chew over.

BTW, raw, live data comes from here http://www.skepticalscience.com/stats.php

2010-12-24 08:23:32
Glenn Tamblyn

glenn@thefoodgallery.com...

Interesting.

I'm surprised that the peak time is even as short as 3 hours. Given different timezones around the world, I would have expected a peak of around 12 hours. Must be a lot of people spend a LOT of their day on-line. That may say something important about the degree of 'fixation' on the subject this community from both sides have.

2010-12-24 12:42:32
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...
On your "Deleted Comments" graph, I suspect the reason that the warmist comments are so numerous is probably because many are replies to skeptical comments that eventually get deleted for Comment Policy violations.