2010-12-16 20:41:00Idea about quotes from scientific papers
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...

There was a thread somewhere on the SkS forum about creating a page of quotes from climate scientists. Anyway, it occurred to me that we could also collect strong quotes from scientific papers.

Here are three examples I’ve come up with:

Evans 2006: “This experimental data should effectively end the argument by skeptics that no experimental evidence exists for the connection between greenhouse gas increases in the atmosphere and global warming.”

Knutti 2008: “[T]he tight constraint on the lower limit of sensitivity indicates a need for strong and immediate mitigation efforts if the world decides that large climate change should be avoided”

NOAA 2010: "If the land surface records were systematically flawed and the globe had not really warmed, then it would be almost impossible to explain the concurrent changes in this wide range of indicators produced by many independent groups."

2010-12-16 21:33:01I like this idea
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
"Peer reviewed quotes" has a nice ring to it. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Only problem, it'll take time. What if I set up a database of quotes, similar to that database of scientist quotes, so we can crowd source this idea? How about this strategy? I'll work hard in January to get enough scientist quotes to launch. In the meantime, we fill this thread with other quotes, to build a resource and also see if there are a lot of good quotes. Then I'll launch the peer review quotes page with our batch and invite others to submit quotes.
2010-12-18 18:14:14Quote from Lonnie Thompson
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Thompson 2010: "Sooner or later, we will all deal with global warming. The only question is how much we will mitigate, adapt, and suffer."
2010-12-31 15:43:11Quote from comment by muoncounter
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Lockwood 2010 Solar change and climate: an update in the light of the current exceptional solar minimum is an interesting summary paper for the Royal Society.

... the popular idea (at least on the Internet and in some parts of the media) that solar changes are some kind of alternative to GHG forcing in explaining the rise in surface temperatures has no credibility with almost all climate scientists.

2010-12-31 19:06:43
Ari Jokimäki

arijmaki@yahoo...

Harries et al. (2001): "Our results provide direct experimental evidence for a significant increase in the Earth’s greenhouse effect that is consistent with concerns over radiative forcing of climate."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v410/n6826/full/410355a0.html

Levin & Hessheimer (2000): "It has been erroneously argued that the observed atmospheric CO2 increase since the middle of the 19th century may be due to an ongoing natural perturbation of gross fluxes between the atmosphere, biosphere, and oceans. That the increase is in fact a predominantly anthropogenic disturbance, caused by accelerated release of CO2 from burning of fossil fuels, has been elegantly demonstrated through 14C analyses of tree rings from the last two centuries"

http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/volltexte/2006/6862/pdf/LevinRAD2000.pdf