2010-12-13 10:35:55Wikileaks bombshell (to me anyway) - pre-climategate warning of climate cyberattacks
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

This news blew me away:

http://plainsjusticeblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/french-wikileaks-coverage-reports-cyberattacks-on-climate-scientists/

An article posted Dec. 12, titled Pirates informatiques contre climatologues (Computer pirates against climatologists), reveals a few American diplomats’ fears that cyberattacks on climate scientists might increase in the days leading up to the 2009 Copenhagen meeting. One email reveals an unsuccessful attack against the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Oceans, Environment and Science (OES) that has received very little coverage (none that I can find) in domestic press.

The note cited by Le Monde concludes (my translation of the French translation):

As climate negotiations continue, it is likely that attacks like this will persist…. Personnel involved in climate change research or related subjects should remain conscious of the elevated risk.

To me, the crucial "counter-narrative" to global warming skepticism is the active (and sometimes illegal) campaign to cast doubt and delay action on climate change. This news adds to that narrative and should be made more prominent.