2010-10-25 10:02:00LATEST: SkS Firefox Add-on now available on Mozilla website
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Just got exciting news from Adam at Shine Tech - the Skeptical Science Firefox Add-on is now available on the Mozilla website. For those not aware of the Firefox Add-on, it has many purposes. It allows users to send us climate links which enables us to keep tabs on latest skeptic articles, peer-reviewed papers, mainstream media activity, etc. But more importantly, it also provides rebuttal info and links to our rebuttal pages. So the idea is this will be a resource for people who go out on blogs and forums as they discuss climate with skeptics. It's also proactive in getting our rebuttals out there into cyberspace as well as hopefully drive traffic back to our rebuttals.

I'm not going to officially launch it yet - it still has to be reviewed by Mozilla so I'll wait for that to happen. But for all intents and purposes, it's good to go. Can I encourage everyone to do the following?

• If you don't use Firefox, can I encourage you to install it? :-)
  • Install the Add-on and let us know here what you think?
  • Whenever you see a climate link, whether it be blog, MSM article or peer-reviewed paper, submit it via the Add-on?
  • Post a positive review on the Add-on page

Thanks to all. The Add-on has the potential to make a strong impact if it gets enough people using it, even more than the iPhone app. The download URL is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/242713/

2010-10-27 11:41:13problemo
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
I downloaded and installed and tried to add a WUWT page, but when I put in my SkS login information it told me it was incorrect.  I even retrieved my info from SkS, copied and pasted it, and it still told me it was incorrect.  What's up with that?
2010-10-27 13:11:13Problem logging in
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Ouch. The problem is the # in your password. I've asked Shine Tech to update the Add-on to work around it but in the meantime, I'd suggest updating your password to remove the #:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/profile.php?a=updateprofileform

Thanks for the feedback - great to catch this before it goes live. Can I encourage others to download and test before launch? Adam and I have great hopes for the Firefox add-on but I'm a little concerned that if SkS authors aren't even that much interested, will others?

2010-10-27 14:22:44got it
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...
Okay, I submitted a report on The Inconvenient Skeptic's guest post on WUWT on climate sensitivity.  That guy has no freaking idea what he's doing.  He's like the new Steven Goddard.
2010-10-27 14:45:40Yep, I can see your report when I go that URL
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Even the WUWT mob (well some of them) were picking holes in his article.

How does the Add-on work for you? Intuitive enough?

2010-10-27 15:44:40WUWT mob
dana1981
Dana Nuccitelli
dana1981@yahoo...

Well a lot of them were raving about how it just made so much sense, too.  They make me laugh.

Yeah, it was easy to use.  I like that the article title fills in automatically and I just have to pick the appropriate skeptic argument and submit.  I don't know how often I'll use it though, because I rarely visit skeptic sites.

2010-10-27 19:35:51Add-on will be launched on Thursday
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Mozilla have finished their review and accepted the Add-on so it gets launched tomorrow.

The plug-in isn't just for skeptic articles - it's for any climate articles, skeptic, proAGW or neutral. In fact, the main thing I use it for is logging any new peer-reviewed papers - I'm steadily building a database of papers, all catalogued by what skeptic arguments they cover. This will eventually be a really useful resource, I think.

So the Add-on ticks a lot of boxes:

• keep track of latest skeptic articles, particularly mainstream media
  • monitor trends of the most popular skeptic arguments
  • keep track of latest climate news, particularly peer-reviewed research
  • build resource of proAGW climate links, whether they be blog, peer-review or online articles
Of course it's most powerful feature will be if I can combine it with some kind of rapid response system - that's something to discuss down the track.
2010-10-27 22:19:26
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
Do you see a niche for sensible mainstream-media articles? There are a couple out now about the fact that 20% of species are considered to be endangered; this is in connection with the conference on biodiversity.
2010-10-28 06:46:15Sensible MSM
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Well, the Add-on does record Pro-AGW MSM articles. What we do with the data is up to us - for now, I show them here:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/article.php?p=30&t=2&b=3

2010-10-28 06:47:05BTW, just launched the Firefox add-on
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Hoping it gets used widely, bit nervous about server load if it does :-)