2010-09-30 15:02:08Breathing argument missing from list
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...
The argument "Breathing contributes to CO2 buildup" does not appear on the taxonomy list. This is obviously because there is no category yet for "It's too late".
2010-09-30 15:33:16Well spotted
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
For now, I've thrown it under "Human CO2 emissions are a tiny % of natural emissions". Yes, I know, wrong category, if anything, says the opposite. Nevertheless, I'll throw it in that corner until I make some proper space elsewhere (eg - start doing rebuttals to "It's too late" arguments).
2010-09-30 23:42:53
doug_bostrom

dbostrom@clearwire...
It would be fun (in a twisted way) to concoct an entirely trumped-up, bogus and novel argument, post it on the blog and then see how many skeptics rushed to its defense. I guess I say this because the "breathing" objection seems to me like an April Fool's joke, really. 
2010-10-01 00:35:32
Ned

ned.flounders@yahoo...

Hmmm.  Doug, here are a few candidates:

(1) CO2 is heavier than N2 and O2.  CO2 emitted over land will sink downslope to sea level, so any warming will only occur over the oceans while land areas won't experience warming.

(2) The rise in sea surface temperatures is just due to the long-term increase in shipping / waste heat from ships' engines.  (This could probably be shown nicely by a graph showing the correlation between global shipping capacity & global SST over time -- both are rising, so the former must be causing the latter).

(3) Global warming is actually caused by the microwave signals emitted by the constellation of GPS satellites.  These satellites are like giant spaceborne microwave ovens, irradiating the Earth's atmosphere with microwaves 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

(4) Almost all the melting in Antarctica is in the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, which is grounded below sea level.  Since ice is less dense than water, it will take a greater mass of water to fill the space left behind by the melting ice.  Therefore, melting of the WAIS would actually decrease sea level, adding thousands of square km to the land area of countries that border on the ocean.

Come to think of it, maybe I'd better delete this comment.

2010-10-01 12:25:46We already have no. 3!
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...
Believe it or not, Ned, we already have the satellite microwave signals argument. Did you just make that up?
2010-10-05 00:13:39
Ned

ned.flounders@yahoo...

Good grief.  I didn't realize that -- thought I was making up something far too silly for anyone to take seriously.

Of course, it's possible that there is no argument that's silly enough to meet with universal rejection.  I just noticed a comment over at WUWT that starts with this:

As we have seen the last of the outer planet induced surges of warm tropical air mass into the arctic until April, I would say the growth of ice should proceed at a fast pace, right up till mid April.

"Outer planet induced surges of warm tropical air mass ..."?   Do they mean "outer planets" as in Jupiter, Saturn, etc.?

2010-10-05 00:18:34Outer planet
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...
try Planet G in Gliese 581
2010-10-05 14:30:42Ned may be onto something
Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey
yooper49855@hotmail...

I think the WUWT denizen meant the PDO (Pacific Drain Opening) that routes tropical air through the Earth's crust down to the inner planet, Pelucidar (showing my age with that one) and then back up through the hollow North Pole (it really is candy-striped) to Santa's workshop, keeping the elves from freezing and Pelucidar from overheating...

I need to get more sleep.

The Yooper