2010-09-24 14:44:27Daily Climate Links
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Just letting everyone know I've set up a page for the Daily Climate Links email:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/linksubscribe.php

This lets you sign up to receive a daily email of climate links submitted over the last 24 hours. I haven't launched this feature yet - I'm waiting till the Firefox plugin is finished, then I'll launch them together. But it's fully functional so if you want to receive a daily heads up on the latest climate news, both skeptic and proAGW, go to the link.

For the record, yesterday, there was a glut of peer-reviewed papers - some of which are being discussed in threads here on the forum:

Lastly, if you want to help by submitting links, install the Firefox plugin. Then it's just a matter of submitting links while you're surfing around looking at climate webpages. Thanks!

2010-09-24 15:47:49
James Wight

jameswight@southernphone.com...
With links being added at this rate the list of top ten arguments might start to change again!
2010-09-24 18:41:48Arguments database
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I don't know about the top 10 getting threatened but things are shuffling around down towards the bottom of the ladder. The most popular arguments over the past month are as follows:

IPCC is alarmist

Ice Sheet losses are overestimated

Ocean acidification isn't serious

Medieval Warm Period was warmer

'Climategate' CRU emails suggest conspiracy

It's freaking cold!

Corals are resilient to bleaching

It's the sun

Climate's changed before

Hockey stick is broken

Note there's still not that many articles being submitted. My hope is that when the plugin is launched, there'll be much more data coming in.

2010-09-27 00:09:03Daily Links
jimalakirti

jimalakirti@gmail...

Will these links be "live" in the future? I have tried them in Safari and Firefox. Of course it is OK to go to the address given but would be much handier if the links were, themselves, live. I would be happy to give a shot at linking them up on a (pretty much)  daily basis.

”When the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion is unlikely."

Bertrand Russell,  Let the People Think

2010-09-27 08:23:54Not sure what you mean
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
What do you mean by "will these links be live?" Are you having problems following the links? Not sure what the problem is.
2010-09-27 10:09:14Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
John,
you know i've been warning that this stuff might be coming

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/09/26/a-must-read-european-climate-alpine-glaciers-and-arctic-ice-in-relation-to-north-atlantic-sst-record/

This is the direction the argument is going to head in so we best be prepared. I envisage a new argument "It's the AMO" which unfortunately is going to be hard to answer conclusively. I've already had this debate with a climatology prof in the department here.
2010-09-27 11:25:23I just saw that article on Twitter (I subscribe to WUWT)
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
Read the article and thought of you, knowing your thoughts on the AMO. Definitely do need a rebuttal to this but generally speaking, wouldn't it take a similar form to the responses to the ENSO and PDO rebuttals. Ocean cycles do contribute to short-term trends but it's internal variation, not an energy imbalance that leads to a build-up in global heat content. Finish with discussion of Barnett 2005 and Murphy 2009 which both find the world's oceans building up heat.
2010-09-27 13:02:16Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
Throw in the abysmal warming and its good to go. One problem though, the hypothesis that the AMO does not affect global temperatures has been refuted in the publications a couple times recently. There's even a mechanistic approach to its origin that i'm sure I detailed somewhere. I think the best way to look at it would be that yeah its probably contributing a bit to the warming, just like it did during the 1940-1950s but that it cannot explain the vast majority of the warming that has been observed and likely explains very little of it. That being said, it does help to explain the cooling of the 1970s too... oh dear... perhaps I should read a little less. When I entered the climate debate big time I was trying to figure out how to do global temp reconstructions, now i'm into the amo stuff. Seems I keep choosing the much debated topics at the time.