2010-09-19 09:51:03New forum for blog posts
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I've started a new forum for blog posts. This is because I'd like to encourage all the authors to feel free to write blog posts as you see fit. You all have access to the Author Admin where you can enter blog posts. Reasons to write blog posts:

1. Talk about current issues that don't quite address a specific rebuttal to a skeptic argument. This could be a new paper, latest data, some event, discussion of a current issue. Of course, it has to be science based, not political. Avoid making it personal - stick to the science. But plenty going on in the climate science world worth commenting on and the subsequent discussion in the comments thread can be illuminating and a useful resource, considering the high calibre of the people visiting this site.
  2. Give a detailed response to a comment. Often I find comments posted in the discussion threads that really need a detailed response. Someone will say something like "why can't global warming be a delayed response to the solar warming in the early 20th Century". I often see these kind of comments and would love to write a detailed blog post but rarely find the time. This is a case where we can take advantage of our "home ground advantage". Eg - you can write a comment response to these kind of questions. But if the question is of a general type that is likely to be raised again or is often used by skeptics, rather than have your comment languish deep within a comments thread, take advantage of your author status and turn it into a blog post. That way, you get to set the tone and direction of the discussion - and your writing will get many more eyeballs than a mere comment in the discussion thread. I often see really high quality comments and email the commenter, asking if they'd like to turn their comment into a blog post. This offer is now an open invitation to all authors.
  3. Blog post about peer-reviewed papers. This was what I like to do most with blog posts - grab a new paper (or an old interesting one) and boil down the science into a handful of paragraphs broken up with a diagram or two. It doesn't take that long to do - my methodology is to read through the paper, copy and paste the important bits into a text file, then once I've gotten to the end, I go through my text file and reshape the excerpts into a coherent, simpler, readable narrative. Easy peasy! :-) Often when a new paper comes out, I'll quickly skim through it and choose the ones that have a nice graph or two that is immediately understandable, that tells a good story.
  4. Series of blog posts. For example, Tim (aka Moth Incarnate) is working on a series about ecosystems along with Neal and Anne-Marie. This is a good place to discuss each blog post.
So I encourage all of you to consider doing blog posts, especially on peer-reviewed papers. Perhaps the best system would be if you do see a paper you'd like to blog post about, immediately start a new thread just to let the other authors know you're doing it - to avoid duplication of effort.

Also, I'd encourage all the authors to sign up for the daily climate links email. I've been submitting any interesting climate links to the database via the Firefox plugin (which I also encourage you all to install - it's still in beta development but is very useful). This way, each day, you get a list of all the latest links and papers. To subscribe to the daily email, go to this link:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/index.php?LinkSubscribe=1

Importantly, I submit any new peer-reviewed papers. Yesterday, I submitted a heap of papers, many of which I would love to do blog posts about but simply won't get the time. There's a study on the collapsed Antarctic ice shelf, how that has led to an acceleration in the glacier. There's one about black carbon - how it has a cooling effect due to cloud formation that might even cancel out the warming effect. There's one on sea level fingerprints that Robert Way was conversing with the author about recently. Here's all the papers submitted yesterday:

Geoengineering as an optimization problem iopscience.iop.org
Black carbon semi-direct effects on cloud cover: review and synthesis atmos-chem-phys.net
A carbon cycle coupled climate model of Neoproterozoic glaciation: Influence of continental configuration on the formation of a %u201Csoft snowball%u201D agu.org
Climate change and thresholds of biome shifts in Amazonia agu.org
Arctic Oscillation responses to greenhouse warming and role of synoptic eddy feedback agu.org
Change in the dominant decadal patterns and the late 1980s abrupt warming in the extratropical Northern Hemisphere onlinelibrary.wiley.com
Total cloud cover from satellite observations and climate models atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net
Modelling the size distribution of geoengineered stratospheric aerosols onlinelibrary.wiley.com
The sea level fingerprint of 21st century ice mass fluxes the-cryosphere-discuss.net
Evolution of natural and anthropogenic fluxes of atmospheric CO2 from 1957 to 2003 onlinelibrary.wiley.com
2010-09-19 12:00:36John, would you move
nealjking

nealjking@gmail...

these two threads into the new blog-post subforum:

New Series Idea: "Species Shifts" Pt. 1

Species shift: Moving climate zones

2010-09-19 13:59:03Have moved those two threads
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
And a bunch of others too. Forums are getting a bit more organised now. Nice.