2010-08-18 19:30:46SUGGESTION - could we limit the number of new posts on rebuttals?
Anne-Marie Blackburn
Anne-Marie Blackburn
bioluminescence@hotmail.co...

Hi all,

There are currently about 14 rebuttals which have yet to get 5 thumbs up and I'm finding it a bit hard to keep up with it all, to remember which rebuttals I've given the thumbs up to and which I've still yet to read/make suggestions. Could we try and clear most of the 'backlog' before adding new posts?

Cheers.

2010-08-19 02:23:33Finding one's way around
John Russell

jr@johnrussell...

Like Anne-Marie, I'm starting to find it hard to find my way around (I did predict this would happen on a thread -- can't remember which -- which makes the point). Also once a rebuttal is up on the site, could the thread be archived (or something)? Maybe I'm just old, but I just can't find my way around like I once could've done.  

And it's going to get worse as more new threads are started.

It's a pity all the threads can't be referenced (ie link off) the rebuttal list.

Best wishes,

JR

2010-08-19 05:31:25Bubble-sort
doug_bostrom

dbostrom@clearwire...

One thing to bear in mind is that once a rebuttal is launched it'll quickly sink to the bottom of the list unless there's fresh commentary, which might in fact be an indication of a need for attention?

JC, maybe  a rebuttal that is waiting for attention could be flagged? If no activity for a topic in 24 hours but less than 5 thumbs up, a red box appears on the left of the title, or something along those lines?

2010-08-19 06:40:45Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...

Yeah I think something needs to be done with respect to this. It is hard to really see what needs reading and what is packaged and ready to go. I would love it if there was a way to categorize with barriers. Like one barrier be like in press (for those with more than 5 thumbs waiting in line therefore) another be like under review for those under review and another called published for the ones already gone through.

2010-08-19 07:14:21One possibly helpful tip
doug_bostrom

dbostrom@clearwire...
If you scan down the list of "most recent comments" column and look for the occurrence of your own name, you can tell what's changed since the last comment you made.
2010-08-19 07:42:53Comment
Robert Way

robert_way19@hotmail...
Hey Doug, thanks but I just noticed that earlier. I still think that sectioning it off would help even focus people in terms of what needs to be looked at
2010-08-19 14:18:53Colour background
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

I've tweaked the forum so once a rebuttal is published, the thread goes green so we know we can ignore that thread.

So I'm using the thumbs up as an indication of which threads I need to look at. If its 5 thumbs or more, I assume its packaged and ready to go, I just have to read it and am currently processing about 3 rebuttals per day. The reason for this rate is I like to give each blog post time to breath, get some comments, before moving onto the next one (so general rule of thumb is I publish a rebuttal at breakfast, lunch and dinner).

Right now, it's a bit of a mess but once a good number of rebuttals have been processed over the next few days, I think the green threads will sink below and leave the threads requiring attention at the top. So I could program a flag function that pins the threads requiring attention to the top of the forum but I suggest just give it two days for the forum to "settle" first. Natural selection may just solve this for us. If it still confuses after I'd culled off the 5-thumb threads, then I'll add a little more structure.

2010-08-19 15:40:14Sinking threads
gpwayne
Graham Wayne
graham@gpwayne...
John - trouble is, new people come and comment on threads that already have 5 thumbs, which pushes them back up the list. To speed things up, and help keep the lists a bit clearer, would you consider removing or locking threads once they get 5 thumbs, or perhaps splitting the table into pending and approved (those with 5 thumbs go in a table below those we are working on).  I don't mean to suggest that rebuttals can't continue to be improved, but maybe to get the work done and stay focussed, those improvements could be handled in the forum proper, not in here?
2010-08-19 16:11:425 thumb threads
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Graham, I could set the forum so as soon as a thread hits 5 thumbs, it goes down to the bottom of the forum. Problem is often these threads still require discussion - good example being the 'freaking cold' thread (with a record breaking 7 thumbs) which is good to go but I have a few niggly questions of Jim before I can publish. Languishing at the bottom, it will never get answered.

But your idea to split the forum into published/unpublished is pretty easy and clear - I'll implement that now.
2010-08-29 06:20:21RSS feeds per thread?
TonyWildish

Tony@Wildish...
one thing that would help, if possible, is to have an RSS feed per thread. I know I can't keep up with all the threads, and currently have to bookmark and manually visit/refresh the ones I'm following. If there were an RSS feed, this would be a lot easier. Is that a possibility?
2010-08-29 14:06:52RSS thread vs email subscription
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
One thing I've been meaning to do is program email subscription for each thread. So there's a checkbox where you choose to receive emails of any followup comments. So would this email notification be sufficient or would you would like both an RSS feed and email subscription?
2010-08-29 19:09:16
TonyWildish

Tony@Wildish...

Hi John,

RSS, email, either would be great!