2010-08-14 17:24:14Peer-review thumbs up functionality now added
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...

Okay, have added a new vital function to the forum. You can now give rebuttals the "thumbs up". This is how I envisage the forum working:

1. Someone starts a new thread with a new rebuttal
  2. We all post comments/suggestions
  3. The original author then goes back and updates their rebuttal - using the Edit function to update their original rebuttal. Then they post a reply to that thread, letting us know they've updated the rebuttal and bumping the thread to the top of the forum
  4. We all read the new rebuttal and when each author is happy with the final wording, they give it the thumbs up. This is done by posting a reply and checking the thumbs up box beneath the Message box
  5. Once a post receives *five* thumbs up, it's "passed peer-review"
  6. As a final step, I'll officially go live with it (and being the control freak that I am, I may tweak a word or two - sorry, I can't help myself)

I started by giving JR's 1998 rebuttal the thumbs up. Go check that thread out, I'm keen to get a rebuttal to completion so we can start going live.

Graham (gpwayne) suggested we also include a "Status" feature with each thread. Eg - the original poster can change the status of the thread to "Awaiting feedback", "Being Developed", "Approved". That way, we can quickly see where all the threads are at. I think for now, I'll go with the simpler option of just having the thumbs up and then once the rebuttal is officially published, I'll change the thread to a green colour. So over time, the forum will gradually fill up with green threads, they'll drop down to the bottom of the forum and the unfinished, still being developed rebuttals will float to the top.

I also added a "Sticky" function so I can pin certain key threads to the top of the forum. For now, just the welcome thread but I'll also add a "Style Guide" thread sometime soon. I just haven't actually decided on what the Basic Style is yet but getting closer :-)

2010-08-14 18:57:45A suggestion
gpwayne
Graham Wayne
graham@gpwayne...

Ok John - the 'floating to the top' might work - I just want a quick visual on which items have been edited and are awaiting review.

Can I suggest that the thumbs-up button might be more appropriate if it was displayed as part of the rebuttal thread - a vote button appearing at the top, for example. At the moment, you have to post something simply to indicate you find the rebuttal satisfactory. My item No.12 - it won't be bad - has been viewed 7 times. Nobody has commented so I assume there was nothing that anyone found lacking, inappropriate or whatever. If there was just a button for a vote, that might have gathered 5 thumbs up by now and be ready to go. And if it hadn't, that would be worth knowing too...

2010-08-14 20:03:04Vote button at top
John Cook

john@skepticalscience...
If you don't mind, I'll keep it as is for now. I want people to comment as they give the thumbs up - that way, it bumps that thread to the top. For example, in the case of your Argument #12, I think it just slipped through the cracks because of all the other activity. In those cases, you can either bump it yourself by posting a reply "feedback, people?". Or in this case, I'll bump it because I just read it, it's fantastic and I'm about to give it a thumbs up.
2010-08-15 01:09:12Vote button
gpwayne
Graham Wayne
graham@gpwayne...
Fair enough John - I see your point about ranking being the way to focus attention. We need to encourage others to vote, that's all.